Tanking regulation Topic

Im fairly certain this guy kitkit has/had an alias in this game.  And the alias, is one of the worst tankers ever to play HBD.  So there's that..
7/21/2014 8:14 PM
It also seems like he started this thread hoping to just get one person who will tell him what he wants to hear. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I got reading page 1. Almost like he knows it's wrong, but just wants to phrase it in a way that convinces somebody to back him up.
7/21/2014 9:35 PM
Posted by a_ersberg on 7/21/2014 8:14:00 PM (view original):
Im fairly certain this guy kitkit has/had an alias in this game.  And the alias, is one of the worst tankers ever to play HBD.  So there's that..
Care to share?
7/22/2014 12:54 AM
if a guy does poorly on purpose but only does enough to finish low enough to draft, let's say, 10th, is it truly tanking in the sense that normally offends people? Or is that ok? What's an acceptable timeframe / number of spots to drop on purpose? Just curious if there's any guideline on that
7/22/2014 2:52 AM
I think it's the "on purpose" part and how one goes about "on purpose". 
7/22/2014 7:12 AM
To futher elaborate, I've already said I think "down" seasons are inevitable in better worlds.   There's just no way to keep "feeding the machine" as good owners aren't going to trade you top prospects for 32 y/o sluggers for one shot at glory.

So, IMO, you have to set a plan.   Maybe it includes trading off a few veteran players for younger players.   Maybe you just play it out with the bad contracts you have.  But, either way, you're likely to "cap" your payroll because you know you have to get young talent either via IFA or the draft and you have to have the funds to do so.    But that doesn't mean you have to field complete ****.   Nor do you have to play guys out of position or manipulate your line-up to play the worst the most.   And, finally, you don't have to put a Rookie League/Try Out Camp quality player on your BL team.
7/22/2014 8:44 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/19/2014 10:59:00 PM (view original):
The world's minimum win rules should be strong enough to discourage tanking.  At least, that's what the intention of the MWR should be.  I don't know what they are in Duff Beer.  But a multi-season, progressive rule should be sufficient to make tanking a "do at your own risk" option.

That said, the commish should be able to remove a problematic owner IF he can make a case for doing so with ADMIN.  Which means documenting the transgressions via a ticket to ADMIN, issuing "warnings" to the violating owner, etc.

We had an issue in Cooperstown many seasons ago in which we had an owner who was tanking, he was first warned by the commish, and then was flat out told that he would not be allowed back the following season, yet he refused to leave at rollover.  The rest of the world banded together, and I believe 28 owners (everybody but the commish, the tanker, and two others who apparently couldn't be bothered) had a walkout (we all withdrew from the world) until ADMIN removed the owner in question.

It was a thing of beauty.
Wow, that was four actual years ago? That was pretty awesome.
7/22/2014 11:30 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/22/2014 8:44:00 AM (view original):
To futher elaborate, I've already said I think "down" seasons are inevitable in better worlds.   There's just no way to keep "feeding the machine" as good owners aren't going to trade you top prospects for 32 y/o sluggers for one shot at glory.

So, IMO, you have to set a plan.   Maybe it includes trading off a few veteran players for younger players.   Maybe you just play it out with the bad contracts you have.  But, either way, you're likely to "cap" your payroll because you know you have to get young talent either via IFA or the draft and you have to have the funds to do so.    But that doesn't mean you have to field complete ****.   Nor do you have to play guys out of position or manipulate your line-up to play the worst the most.   And, finally, you don't have to put a Rookie League/Try Out Camp quality player on your BL team.
There's no reason to let those inevitable down seasons go to waste playing Low-A caliber players who will most certainly suck; experiment with unusual player types and see what works. Always wondered what a defensive SS could do at 2B or CF? Go for it. Got a dude with 99 power, decent splits and 40 eye? Give him a chance. Find out what a pitcher who has awesome splits and control below 40 can do for a full season, or a guy with great control and pitches but lower splits.

OK, maybe don't do all of those things at once, but you get the idea. Find players who have a chance to bring something to the table, and you're probably going to stay within the fair play guidelines and have a more productive season than throwing out a bunch of slugs.
7/22/2014 12:20 PM

Barring that, you can play cheap, low-level BL players and still be competitive.   I've got about a dozen 378k or less on my Mantle roster right now and I'm not ashamed to have any of them.   I can make a case for each and every one of them.    The worst of the lot:

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Joe Simas   He was OPSing over 1.000 around game 40.
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Wilkin Lee  LR.  I wanted to see if his league average splits would work with 40 control as BL staff filler.  They won't.
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Raul Ordonez   I really thought he'd be better.  I've had some success with this type in other worlds as LR.   He's been bad for too long to think he'll turn it around.

7/22/2014 1:05 PM
This is going to sound dumb, but I use those seasons to reward a guy who stuck around in AAA forever.  A good example is Bill Thurman.  His production wasn't great this season, but hey he did pretty good for a 7th rounder.  Besides, I felt like deserved it and will not be getting 500 at bats next season.
7/22/2014 3:09 PM
Posted by sportsboy010 on 7/22/2014 12:54:00 AM (view original):
Posted by a_ersberg on 7/21/2014 8:14:00 PM (view original):
Care to share?
Once upon a time, there was a dirtbag, ******* tanker named Sculley.  Typical DH at shortstop, 1B in centerfield, absurd trade offers and demands, the usual tanker foolishness.  When he was called out he threw a childish tantrum on the world chat "ITS MY 20 BUCKS I CAN DO WHATEVER I DAMN WELL PLEASE.  KISS MY ***!!!!!" and so on.  So after two seasons he finally is booted from the world.  

Well wouldn't you know, kitkit shows up and claims the same team.  Puts them in the same city as sculley.  With the same team name, AND, uses the same awful grammar in the world chat upon his arrival.  What are the odds right??  The commish tossed this guy out thankfully.  

So either it was a huge coincidence, or it really was the same tanker sneaking back in.  Either way, kitkit just proclaimed his boner for tanking.  
7/22/2014 6:37 PM
Thanks. I can say he hasn't done all of that but certainly some. I will obviously keep my eye on the situation and hope the issue is fixed...
7/22/2014 7:13 PM
Are the rules the same for private and public leagues?

We have a couple of teams that have their best players in the minors while their major league teams run about .300.  It appears to me that they are stock piling top 10 draft pick players in the minors.   
7/23/2014 3:40 PM
Private leagues make their own rules.  It's up to them, and their commish, to police themselves.

In public leagues, it's usually best if somebody steps up and plays the role of a pseudo-commish, though their hands are tied in terms of instituting rules.  All they can really do is monitor and make sure that WIS rules are followed, and report violations to Admin.

7/23/2014 3:45 PM
Posted by stews_blues on 7/23/2014 3:40:00 PM (view original):
Are the rules the same for private and public leagues?

We have a couple of teams that have their best players in the minors while their major league teams run about .300.  It appears to me that they are stock piling top 10 draft pick players in the minors.   
I'd say as Long as the players in the minors haven't had more than 4 years of development, this isn't blatant tanking. It makes sense to keep them down until their development is peaked if the team isn't going to be competitive. Of course, if you have a 85 overall shortstop in AA while the guy in the majors is like 50 overall, that's never okay.
7/23/2014 4:57 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Tanking regulation Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.