Tanking regulation Topic

From this page: http://www.whatifsports.com/locker/fairplay.shtm

In order for a user to be stripped of his/her Hardball Dynasty franchise during a season for failing to field a competitive team, one of the three following conditions MUST be met:
  1. Major League team expected winning percentage of less than .250 for at least 80 games of the regular season.
  2. Using a starting pitcher at 50% or below fatigue for 10 or more Major League games in a row.
  3. First time Hardball Dynasty user not logging in to his franchise's world for at least 6 days prior to the start of Spring Training.
     At that time, we review the situation. If it's clear the owner is tanking or has abandoned his team, the franchise will be stripped and assigned to the designated replacement owner.     

The bolded expected was my doing - I don't think I caught that the first time I read it a few years ago. I would encourage everyone to visit (or revisit) the Fairplay Guidelines link. I think the last sentence clearly gives the ability to yank the tanking owner for playing extremely low quality players; whether they do it or not is their call.
7/20/2014 4:44 PM (edited)
If you look at this objectively he seems to be in the clear. At 26-55 he's winning at .321 clip, above the .250 guideline. He's not running down his pitching staff (granted I only looked at 6-7 pitchers). And he apparently is checking in. Now assuming his league's MWR is 50 and he can maintain his current pace he has followed all the rules. Bill Simmons wrote a column a while back, albiet a basketball column the logic is the same, saying that rebuilding on the fly doesn't really work and what teams need to do is hit rock bottom and then win the lottery at draft time (basically the Zombie Sonics plan). I know this will upset a lot of owners, but kitkit is following the rules, and he shouldn't be tossed. Its one thing to say that a guy is tanking when they're on pace to win 30 games and he's not hitting his marks, but if he is hitting the requirements and has been a long term owner with a history of success then he should be allowed to take a mulligan on the season.
7/21/2014 12:27 PM
I think that phrase "If it's clear the owner is tanking" is an important one. It gives WIS considerable latitude to determine what exactly constitutes 'tanking'.
In kitkat's case, several ML players are quite obviously nowhere near major league level, and of course kitkat admitted to tanking previously.
That being said, if he's a long time owner with a good history, counseling and a wrist slap would seem more appropriate than an outright stripping of the team.

7/21/2014 12:48 PM
"taking a mulligan" and admitting that you're doing your best to lose(both before and during the season) is not the same thing.
7/21/2014 12:49 PM
IOW, he should have just kept his mouth shut and put a few more "acceptable" players on his BL team. 

I'm "taking a mulligan" with this team.  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Honolulu Warriors in Grass Skirts Franchise Profile   We're not very good(despite 83m in payroll.  30m is dedicated to one player) as we had an old and expensive team a season and a half ago.   However, the guys getting the most AB are my best players.  My best pitchers, including the 30m SP, are moved up in the rotation when they're 100% in order to get them more innings.  And you won't find a slug with no value on my team.

You may not have the best team all the time but you can be competitive.   kitkit has admitted that he's not doing that.
7/21/2014 1:02 PM
Seriously, giving Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Clark Stewart 100 AB should be reason to get the boot.
7/21/2014 1:15 PM
And, yeah, now I'm annoyed.   sportsboy, who I had several run-ins with when he was commish of Hamilton, is trying to do right by the world(intentional losses are unearned victories for someone) and kitkit, rather than comply, comes here to find out IF he can actually be removed if he technically meets the requirements listed in the rules.   Then someone says "Yeah, he's doing the right thing." 

He's not.  He's giving wins to other owners.   They may actually be trying to reach the playoffs.  Or, maybe, someone isn't getting the wins from him and they're also trying to reach the playoffs.    The game isn't played in a vacuum.   Everything you do affects someone else.
7/21/2014 1:46 PM
I was trying to link that guy earlier; clearly an abomination. If that doesn't get WIS's attention, then it's a useless sentence.
7/21/2014 2:00 PM
The nature of HBD just about ensures you'll have "down" seasons in good worlds.  I managed to maintain a level in a couple of worlds but I also left them after 10 seasons.   But, because you know you can't win, there's no reason to field a horrible team AND to play them in the worst way possible.   You can field a competitive team for 30m by picking up FA during ST. 
7/21/2014 2:09 PM
I never thought I'd say this but thank you mike. It is very obvious that he is tanking as is clear by what he has said and also by what he has done. www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx was in the starting rotation while www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx was in the bullpen. He has been a very good long term owner and I initially was just trying to tell him that this was unacceptable and such behavior would result in removal. It went sour when he said he was tanking (obviously) and there's nothing in the rules saying he couldn't. Also, he failed to see the difference between rebuilding and blatantly tanking/throwing games. I did not want this to go as far as it has but I have contacted support and am hoping to have their support. I would prefer kitkit realizes this is wrong and will not be tolerated, fixes his team, and we never have to worry about this again. But, I would like support to back me up and allow me to remove him if he doesn't fix his team and this remains an issue. It certainly is quite an unfortunate situation especially in a world that has had almost no issues and less than 2-3 openings every season for the past several seasons...
7/21/2014 2:49 PM
Regardless of our previous issues, you're right in this case.   Be sure to point out this thread to CS.
7/21/2014 3:56 PM
Ya I have. They asked for proof of tanking and playing players out of position which I gave them. Somehow I still feel as if it's not enough...Not sure what more evidence you could give than the person coming out and admitting it.
7/21/2014 4:07 PM
It's a tough position for CS.  They don't want to take teams away from paying customers but they don't want to **** off other paying customers who are being affected.  Most likely, they've sent him a warning with the hopes he'll straighten up.   If he does, it sort of solves your problem for the 2nd half of the season.
7/21/2014 4:15 PM
Ya they said they sent some warning. If it doesn't turn around I guess we will have to take it from there.
7/21/2014 4:28 PM

Well, the good pitcher you posted is now P1, the crappy guy is SuB and the turd I posted is in rookie league.   So he's made some moves.   Still doesn't mean he won't move good pitchers back but it's a start.

7/21/2014 4:39 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Tanking regulation Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.