Tanking regulation Topic

Sooo I know this is a pretty controversial topic that a lot of people have strong opinions about but I have a serious question I'd like someone to answer outside of whatever opinion you have about it. I have a team that I've run really well for like 15 seasons from the first season I took over. I got a WS out of it (yay!) and have always remained competitive. This year after missing out on resigning my ace I decided the best course of action was to lose for a year and get a top 10 pick (and not have to give up a pick for a type a next year). My private world (duff beer) has private world rules in place to prevent extreme tanking. The two relevant rules are a win minimum requirement and a stipulation that you must maintain your pitching staffs (pitchers not starting at 0(0) ). I have made sure to start rested pitchers and I am well on my way to making the win requirement. But I have decided to start pitchers that are not my best, and I filled out my roster with some admittedly terrible players. My commissioner sent me a message today saying that my team is tanking and I need to fix it immediately for face being removed from the league. My question is whether or not I actually CAN be kicked out. I REALLY don't wanna get removed cuz I love this game so ill change it if I need to. But my question is whether or not he actually can remove me? In private worlds is it completely at the discretion of the commissioner? Any help would be great
7/19/2014 9:14 PM
You should be removed for having the competitiveness of a fly. Sounds like the world deserves a new owner that puts forth their best effort. 
7/19/2014 9:25 PM
Well okay. Again that's your opinion but CAN I be removed?? Maybe I'm just not looking good enough but I don't see anything that says suspicion of or deciding to not put out your best lineup every day is against the rule? Anyone who comments that I should be removed can you please reference a part of the rules or guidelines for private rules that proves that it can be done?
7/19/2014 9:38 PM
You have a guy in the majors with an OVR of 24 - that alone would send me to customer service. I don't think they would approve of your actions, and would probably contact you with a warning or something more severe.
7/19/2014 10:18 PM
You have admitted you are tanking. You have admitted it in a very public way. Yes WIS could remove you for that if they wanted to. It isn't an automatic removal but yes they can do it.
7/19/2014 10:19 PM
Okay is there like not a hard and fast rule it's just kinda a generally accepted guideline of the game? I'm not trying to be dishonest or anything so admitting it or doing it openly doesn't concern me... Will customer service just remove me for general uncompetitiveness or is there something more formal they will point to? Again I'm not really trying to be contentious I am just generally curious. I always thought tanking was something that was frowned upon but allowed, and as a guideline to make sure it didn't get out of hand worlds have win minimums. Can someone explain it to me like I'm 5 but not be demeaning cuz right now the general answr seems to be that there is no rule but customer will kinda do whatever it wants if it thinks someone is being "uncompetitive". If that's the deal well **** I'll live with it. But if not and there is some sort of formal guideline I'd like to know.
7/19/2014 10:37 PM
The world's minimum win rules should be strong enough to discourage tanking.  At least, that's what the intention of the MWR should be.  I don't know what they are in Duff Beer.  But a multi-season, progressive rule should be sufficient to make tanking a "do at your own risk" option.

That said, the commish should be able to remove a problematic owner IF he can make a case for doing so with ADMIN.  Which means documenting the transgressions via a ticket to ADMIN, issuing "warnings" to the violating owner, etc.

We had an issue in Cooperstown many seasons ago in which we had an owner who was tanking, he was first warned by the commish, and then was flat out told that he would not be allowed back the following season, yet he refused to leave at rollover.  The rest of the world banded together, and I believe 28 owners (everybody but the commish, the tanker, and two others who apparently couldn't be bothered) had a walkout (we all withdrew from the world) until ADMIN removed the owner in question.

It was a thing of beauty.
7/19/2014 10:59 PM
7/19/2014 11:03 PM
Search for "FairPlay Guidelines" on this website.
7/19/2014 11:05 PM
I don't think you could have been removed if you hit the MWR.    You probably kicked yourself in the nuts with this statement:  "But I have decided to start pitchers that are not my best, and I filled out my roster with some admittedly terrible players."    Before that you had plausible deniability.   Now you've admitted that you intentionally built a bad team AND that you're manipulating the roster to be even worse. 

I think the commish now has the ammunition to have you removed if he chooses. 

7/20/2014 7:29 AM
As far as the Coop thing, WifS changed the rules on removing owners about a week before we rolled.   Prior to that, commishes could have owners removed for "just cause".  
7/20/2014 7:34 AM
FWIW, smoelheim basically did what you admitted you're doing. 
7/20/2014 7:49 AM
"Prior to that, commishes could have owners removed for "just cause".
l Iike that; some real power. 
WIS, "Commish, why do you want Joe Bloggs removed from your world?"
Commish: "Just 'cause." 
WIS: "OK, he's gone." 
7/20/2014 11:27 AM
That's why there were quotes around it.     I only had one owner, prior to smolheim, removed.    For blatant tanking.   Some commishes had "world chat dicks" removed for being disruptive.   To the best of my knowledge, no one was removed because the commish didn't like the team name.
7/20/2014 11:51 AM
I thought there was a hard and fast rule where if a team is below .250 after 40 games or something like that the owner can be booted?
7/20/2014 2:59 PM
123456 Next ▸
Tanking regulation Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.