Bud Selig's To-Do List Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 7/19/2014 8:30:00 PM (view original):
5 PM Pacific?  Which is harder for the average American, being home at 5 PM or staying up 'til 12:30?  About 1/3 of adults in this country normally stay up past midnight on a regular basis (most of the time), while nearly 90% are up past midnight once a month or more.  I don't know exactly what proportion of adult Americans are home before 5 PM on a work night once a month or more, but I'm willing to bet it's nowhere near 90%.  People who live on the east coast don't even realize how big their east-coast bias is.  I've lived on both coasts, and believe me, the sports schedules are dramatically better in the east as it is.
Perhaps you're right during the week.   But, on the weekends, a 10 AM game is awesome.    Football at 10/1:30/5 can't be beat. 

MLB could do better with the WS.  I get 8:15 start times during the week but they could start them at 4 or 5 EST on weekends.
7/20/2014 7:43 AM
5 PM Pacific?  Which is harder for the average American, being home at 5 PM or staying up 'til 12:30?  About 1/3 of adults in this country normally stay up past midnight on a regular basis (most of the time), while nearly 90% are up past midnight once a month or more.  I don't know exactly what proportion of adult Americans are home before 5 PM on a work night once a month or more, but I'm willing to bet it's nowhere near 90%.  People who live on the east coast don't even realize how big their east-coast bias is.  I've lived on both coasts, and believe me, the sports schedules are dramatically better in the east as it is.

Why cater to 30 percent of the population?
Again,
What's more important? The beginning or the end of the game?

Ps. Been on vacation multiple times in western time zones and LOVE seeing games earlier in the day.

7/20/2014 8:36 AM (edited)
Posted by cobra on 7/20/2014 8:36:00 AM (view original):

Again,

Ps. Been on vacation multiple times in western time zones and LOVE seeing games earlier in the day.

TV finds that people will watch games that start at 8, despite the ********.  It's about money, which is good for the business.
7/20/2014 12:16 PM
Posted by cobra on 7/20/2014 8:36:00 AM (view original):

Again,

As a guy who goes back East fairly regularly, I can't agree with that more. West coast times rule. Hawaii is even better. Football at 7 AM? Hell yeah, pass the Mai tai.
7/20/2014 2:29 PM
Saw something that said the average NFL game length is 3 hours 11 minutes for 2013. So a game that starts around 8:30 PM should end around 11:40 PM. I didn't see a breakdown, but I would bet those night games last longer, it seems those games regularly last past midnight.

As a person that has lived on both the East and West coasts, the West is far and away better for sports viewing.
7/20/2014 3:03 PM
7/20/2014 10:22 PM
Posted by bronxcheer on 7/20/2014 5:22:00 AM (view original):
Lived in Arizona + Calif. for 9 years

The NFL  is better to watch in the Western US time zones. 10am/1pm/ 5pm rocked as opposed to 1pm/4pm/8pm as were college football saturdays

it was strange watching NHL+ MLB games weekdays- 4-4:30 pm

the NBA sux **** at all times

Church means that even when the Eagles are on on the West coast, I generally miss it.
7/21/2014 1:50 AM
And if there weren't church I wouldn't necessarily be up at 10.  Anymore I guess I would, but not a few years ago...
7/21/2014 1:51 AM
7/21/2014 2:55 AM
You think grad students pay for DVRs?
7/21/2014 3:46 AM
Why not? They pay for Whatifsports teams.
7/21/2014 10:57 AM
Posted by cobra on 7/19/2014 8:11:00 PM (view original):
West coast wants to watch too?
Can we agree that the best part of the game is the end?
What does the west coast miss?
70percent of the United States population lives east of the Mississippi.
You CAN NOT start games after 8 pm eastern time. Period.
Last I'd heard, the population center of the US was around Rolla, MO and trending SW. So less than 50% of the population lives east of the Mississippi.
7/21/2014 6:12 PM
Eastern time zone and "east of the Mississippi" river aren't the same thing. About 47% of the country lives in the Eastern time zone.
7/21/2014 6:35 PM
Posted by boogerlips on 7/21/2014 6:12:00 PM (view original):
Last I'd heard, the population center of the US was around Rolla, MO and trending SW. So less than 50% of the population lives east of the Mississippi.
People are moving west so they can watch football in the morning and see the end of WS games.  Duh.
7/21/2014 6:52 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 7/21/2014 10:57:00 AM (view original):
Why not? They pay for Whatifsports teams.
touche
7/22/2014 6:50 PM
◂ Prev 12
Bud Selig's To-Do List Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.