Lefties vs righties Topic

When I make out a lineup against a RHP, or a LHP, does it "really" matter if my batters are left, or right handed? It seems to me that a good hitter, is a good hitter regardless of who he's facing, same as a bad hitter, or average hitter. Also, I see no breakdown anywhere, as to how a particular hitter does against RHP vs. LHP. So how do I know if a hitter can hit LHP, RHP, both, or neither, better, or worse than another batter? ...Thanks in advance for your help.
7/14/2014 3:21 PM
The way I understand it, a right handed hitter gets a 5% performance boost against LHP and lose 5% against RHP, and a left handed hitter gets a 5% boost against RHP while losing 5% against LHP. Switch hitters get the boost against both - or perhaps they get no boost. I'm not sure.

I do know, however, that the sim doesn't take into account a player's real life splits. It doesn't matter if a .300 hitter hits .400 against RHP and .100 against LHP. In the sim, he'll just be a .300 hitter, +/- 5% depending on who he's batting against.
7/14/2014 4:42 PM
I'll bat some of my lefty hitters lower in the lineup against LHP. For your best hitters it might not matter but when two guys are similar and one's a lefty then the one with the favorable matchup bats higher in the lineup. It's all about playing the odds.
Fatigue is always a factor. If a lefty needs occasional rest then I will routinely bat him lower against LHP to preserve more of his PA for RHPs. and if I'm paying attention I'll manually rest him against a LHP before he gets auto-rested against a righty.
7/17/2014 2:53 AM (edited)
Posted by duke137 on 7/14/2014 3:21:00 PM (view original):
When I make out a lineup against a RHP, or a LHP, does it "really" matter if my batters are left, or right handed? It seems to me that a good hitter, is a good hitter regardless of who he's facing, same as a bad hitter, or average hitter. Also, I see no breakdown anywhere, as to how a particular hitter does against RHP vs. LHP. So how do I know if a hitter can hit LHP, RHP, both, or neither, better, or worse than another batter? ...Thanks in advance for your help.
As someone else indicated, there when a batter faces a pitcher of the opposite handedness, a 5% advantage is conferred to the batter.  When a batter faces a pitcher of the same handedness, the batter is penalized by 5%.  WIS has stated that switch hitters do not get such a penalty or advantage, but the objective evidence seems to show they get an advantage either way.

So the short answer is, yes it does matter but not to an extent that it is easy to exploit (other than using switch hitters).

7/17/2014 4:21 AM
Seems like a platoon would be an advantage.  Two .300 hitters in a lefty-righty platoon would be at .315 with the 5% boost, no?  You could platoon at all 8 spots and still have room for 9 pitchers...
7/18/2014 7:19 AM
Posted by teaparty on 7/18/2014 7:19:00 AM (view original):
Seems like a platoon would be an advantage.  Two .300 hitters in a lefty-righty platoon would be at .315 with the 5% boost, no?  You could platoon at all 8 spots and still have room for 9 pitchers...
people have done this.  
7/18/2014 1:14 PM
And your AAA?
7/18/2014 11:01 PM
Posted by zubinsum on 7/18/2014 11:01:00 PM (view original):
And your AAA?
Presumably in a league without AAA
7/19/2014 4:56 PM
Posted by uncleal on 7/19/2014 4:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zubinsum on 7/18/2014 11:01:00 PM (view original):
And your AAA?
Presumably in a league without AAA
I draft my teams without regard to AAA, except that I know I'll have players to use to rest the starters when we have a big lead or deficit in the later innings or to mop up, so I can keep my PAs down close to 4800 and innings in the 1200s.  I also figure at least a couple AAA guys will be good enough to pinch hit.

If I get lucky and get an AAA guy or two who can be helpful beyond that, and I was employing the strategy above, I could use the person as one-half of the platoon at their position, freeing up money to upgrade somewhere else.  But I don't ever plan or count on AAA guys doing much more that I described above.

Note that I play almost exclusively OLs.

7/19/2014 8:13 PM
Lefties vs righties Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.