Recruiting Question Topic

So I was a "backup" for a D2 recruit, I started spending money to pull him down.  A SIM AI school then got him to consider.  I've spent a good amount on him.  Is it possible to still pull him down?  The SIM AI school has to sign somewhere around 7 recruits.  Should I have more money?  Is there anyway to check that?
4/23/2014 8:59 PM
Are you sure the SIM wasn't on him since the beginning? Does WOTS say he is "tight" with them.. or any variation?? If so its going to be very expensive to pull him down. The SIM will spend money like he is 200 miles from the recruit. Some users have said its a certain percentage of that SIM's would be budget that they will dump on him and you will have to overcome. Short answer is cut your losses because its rare and hard to get these guys. I sent 45 SV's on a guy nearly $10,000 once and got him to consider me but I didn't have enough to get him after that. Complete waste. Having said this my buddy just got a JUCO from a SIM with a very similar scenario... he was close and just got lucky that he had enough. So, its doable just realize you're going to have to spend a lot to not only get him to drop, but take the lead as well.
4/23/2014 11:25 PM
Better question: Is the sim D2 or D3?
4/24/2014 1:27 AM
How do you know when you have successfully pulled down a recruit to where you can recruit him? For all the threads and posts about recruiting on the board that I've looked at, I don't think I've ever seen the answer to that question.
4/24/2014 2:10 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/24/2014 2:10:00 AM (view original):
How do you know when you have successfully pulled down a recruit to where you can recruit him? For all the threads and posts about recruiting on the board that I've looked at, I don't think I've ever seen the answer to that question.
Normally they will be considering you since the threshold for pulldowns is higher than for getting someone to consider you.
4/24/2014 2:35 AM
Well I'm afraid to say that didn't help because people seem to get snippy when I do, but that didn't really answer the question.

Let me try another way. Is there a signal or message or something that constitutes a player being "pulled down" or is that just a shorthand term that doesn't have a practical meaning, and when they start considering you is when they are "pulled down"?

I've put in the amount of effort on several guys that it has been written in multiple threads it should take to "pull down" and I'm not seeing any effect from it at all. In the meantime, there have been multiple cases where someone else has shown up on the considering list even though I've done what supposedly you have to do.

I don't really like this formulaic style of recruiting, but I'm trying to play the game. Only the rules as they've been laid out don't seem to be in force, so I don't know if I'm throwing good money after bad now or what is going on.
4/24/2014 2:47 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/24/2014 2:47:00 AM (view original):
Well I'm afraid to say that didn't help because people seem to get snippy when I do, but that didn't really answer the question.

Let me try another way. Is there a signal or message or something that constitutes a player being "pulled down" or is that just a shorthand term that doesn't have a practical meaning, and when they start considering you is when they are "pulled down"?

I've put in the amount of effort on several guys that it has been written in multiple threads it should take to "pull down" and I'm not seeing any effect from it at all. In the meantime, there have been multiple cases where someone else has shown up on the considering list even though I've done what supposedly you have to do.

I don't really like this formulaic style of recruiting, but I'm trying to play the game. Only the rules as they've been laid out don't seem to be in force, so I don't know if I'm throwing good money after bad now or what is going on.
it is possible (likely perhaps) that other coaches are also trying to pull the recruit down at the same time, which I believe results in something like a tug of war effect as he goes back and forth between you, making it more difficult to get him pulled down. (you might get an indication of this if the tone of the reports seems to change mid stream - something like he kept staring at me guess he wanted to make sure I was still in the gym to based on the other coaches in attendance I'd say the only shot we have is if his first choices pass or whatever it says...)

I don't know an exact answer to your question, which is a reasonable one fwiw. I believe that the player might change which list he shows up on (ie if you are in D2 pulling a player from the D1 list he will now appear on the D2 list for you) once he is pulled down (actually, I am pretty sure this does happen when you succeed in pulling him down - what I am uncertain of is if it happens while trying to pull down simultaneously with someone else which might lead to you not showing considering). 

Its possible that if some of your evals have the favorable language like the above, or the if we play our cards right looks like we'll have another signee or whatever and hen go back that that means he has dropped/been pulled into the range where he will now accept regular recruiting efforts, but I am not sure (sorry).

You might be able to send a new phone call or coach call to see what the response is. If it still indicates backup in some way he hasn't been pulled/dropped yet. You can also be brave and try some HVs or CV, which if he won't accept typically (but not always if I remember correctly) be refunded...

There are quite possibly others that have paid closer attention to this who might have the answers you seek, but hopefully this provided a little help, even though I can't specifically answer the question. Hopefully some of those others will chime in.

ETA: In case I didn't fully address the first question - I don't know if it is possible (but I believe it is) to pull a player down without getting him to consider you. If it isn't than it becomes more of a shorthand thing like you suggest, but I believe it is possible under certain circumstances, I just haven't paid close enough attention, and I probably should start doing so...

4/24/2014 3:29 AM (edited)

You'll usually get a message from your athletic director, or at least that's my experience. For the guy I pulled down this year it said "Check this out…" and the message basically said he talked to the player and since he's not getting the interest he thought he would we now have a chance.

4/24/2014 4:54 AM

Blackdogg' s answer is correct. If you aren't on his considering list, you haven't pulled him down. The signal is showing up on the recruits page.

The minimum to pull someone down (usually) is 10 st and a scholarship. Under some circumstances it takes more, sometimes much more.
4/24/2014 6:26 AM
Posted by mikvitu on 4/24/2014 4:54:00 AM (view original):

You'll usually get a message from your athletic director, or at least that's my experience. For the guy I pulled down this year it said "Check this out…" and the message basically said he talked to the player and since he's not getting the interest he thought he would we now have a chance.

That's a "drop down" message.
4/24/2014 6:27 AM
For my attempt at clarity:
Pull down is when you've used Scouting visits (and a schollie) to have a recruit who gives you the backup message consider you.  This is to speed up the process on drop down (but has it's obvious risks).   You know you've pulled down when you're on the considering list or get a "I wish I could sign"-type message.
Drop down is when a recruit gives you the backup message, and you wait.  In that case, you'll get a message (IFF you've contacted him prior) saying "I didn't get the love I wanted" or "I thought you meant basket-weaving" or a message from your AD/AC saying "remember so- and -so"... then you can recruit them as if they are in your division (and will show up in your search accordingly)

4/24/2014 10:19 AM
Posted by scaturo on 4/24/2014 6:26:00 AM (view original):

Blackdogg' s answer is correct. If you aren't on his considering list, you haven't pulled him down. The signal is showing up on the recruits page.

The minimum to pull someone down (usually) is 10 st and a scholarship. Under some circumstances it takes more, sometimes much more.
Heck I did that for a guy that's in my division and still haven't even gotten listed.

I've done what you say for several guys and none of them have showed up. I'm just wondering how I'm supposed to know what the deal is, why the guy isn't responding, etc. And like I said, for 1-2 people someone else HAS showed up in the meantime! :P

It doesn't seem logical that having more than one person trying to pull down would make him more difficult for anyone to pull down. If anything, the cumulative effect of multiple programs doing that should make him more likely to consider it.

Really just about getting to be more frustration than it's worth at this point. Seems like a big guessing game.

4/24/2014 10:53 AM
This is from a couple of recruiting cycles ago so I could be wrong, but I don't think this player was considering me when I pulled him down but he had to be very close to that point.

I received this message at 11:00:

Coach, I gotta be honest with you - the more I think about playing there, the more I think it's just not for me. I'll keep you offer here though just in case some other options fall through.

James Shreffler

Obviously a backup still. Then at 2:00 I received this scholarship message after a few more scouting trips

Coach, I just can't say yes or now right now...I'm still supposed to take a campus visit of another school. I'd still like to learn more about your program too.

James Shreffler

I don't think he was considering me at this point because I'm almost positive this was not a battle (99.9% sure) and I sent a couple of home visits after I received this message. If I was the only one on his list I would no have sent home visits
4/24/2014 10:56 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
really not that complicated. 
4/24/2014 11:11 AM
1|2|3...15 Next ▸
Recruiting Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.