So let me understand this new update completely... Topic

We are going to make DIII original Tecmo Bowl and DII - DIA Super Tecmo Bowl.  And that makes sense why?  

Not a GD veteran, but an active WIS veteran.  The best part of the dynasty games are growing a program through recruiting.  The most rewarding recruiting occurs at DIII.  Now we are putting DIII on auto-pilot so every team is essentially gameplanned on par with a SIM AI.  And essentially destroying 5 seasons of roster building for established coaches that want to play the game to the fullest.  Because I want to spend another $50.00 and 6 months to start over with a team full of SIM AI recruits at D-II.

Bad decision.
4/23/2014 12:09 AM
The most rewarding recruiting occurs at DIII.

What is your basis for this statement?

Now we are putting DIII on auto-pilot so every team is essentially gameplanned on par with a SIM AI. 

How is this statement true? Even basic mode coaching mode (or whatever it is called) is still FAR more advanced than Version 1 or even Version 2 of this game.

If you enjoy the game, just move up to DII and follow the same plan you used at DIII. If you are so attached to your DIII team that you can't bear to move up, just stay at DIII and coach in basic mode.

4/23/2014 9:25 AM
Quote post by kcden on 4/23/2014 9:25:00 AM:

Personal opinion and experience based upon multiple seasons of HD and a few seasons of GD.  The playing field is so much more level at D-III and you have such a limited area to recruit versus making your way to the top of the D-I ladder where you simply aim and fire with little difficulty finding what you want.

Now we are putting DIII on auto-pilot so every team is essentially gameplanned on par with a SIM AI. 

How is this statement true? Even basic mode coaching mode (or whatever it is called) is still FAR more advanced than Version 1 or even Version 2 of this game.

Having not played V.1 or V.2, I have no idea.  But in my mind, regressing to simplicity makes us all much more like SIM AI game plans (which is essentially no game plans) as opposed to the actual customization that makes you possibly win or lose games on anything more than pick your best 22 guys and go on auto-pilot..  If your game plan is essentially "Offense: Balanced - Aggressive; Defense: Pass Heavy - Nomal" how does that: A. Teach new coaches anything, B. Improve the experience, C. Give you any reason to ever even check in from day to day besides check your scoring?  Sure, I can switch it up from Balanced to Pass Heavy or Normal to Conservative, but how do I even really know what those words mean, or care, when I know there is so much more behind the curtain.

I don't have any qualms necessarily about moving to D-II.  I do have a problem with spending 5 seasons learning the game and making my team pretty decent only to have WIS tell me it was potentially all for naught if I want to play the full version of the game.  Sure, WIS, give me the next 5 seasons on you and I'll happily close my mouth and move to D-II.  I think it's fair to say there would be a lot of ****** off D-IA coaches if WIS said, "You know, the elites are just too strong, we're going to take away advanced game planning options to level the playing field.....unless you want to move down to D-IAA."  

Not a personal attack.....don't know you from Steve......but if WIS told you that if you wanted to stay at Washington....where you have coached for an impressive and very successful 72 seasons...you had to give up advanced game planning and go to cookie cutter practice plans, would you be happy?  Your alternative is move to a different division all together.  Your thoughts?
4/24/2014 1:20 AM
Lets say this was a-ok....this should have been something they warned users about a long time before 2 weeks before the change.
4/24/2014 1:50 AM
By brygold - The most rewarding recruiting occurs at DIII.

by brygold - Personal opinion and experience based upon multiple seasons of HD and a few seasons of GD.  The playing field is so much more level at D-III and you have such a limited area to recruit versus making your way to the top of the D-I ladder where you simply aim and fire with little difficulty finding what you want.

Each level has its quirks for recruiting. (Again where this game is really won or lost. Well, at least won, 'cuz losing can occur at any time to anyone) DIII - limited by distance due to money, DII - can search longer distances and sign recruits, but really need high vision to recruit to highest level, D1AA - Have to pick the best players you can see before D1A begins taking them for back-ups, D1A - limited by distance due to money - but can get back-ups cross country. Very hard at D1A to recruit in a battle cross country. Disagree wholeheartedly that you can just aim and fire.

4/24/2014 11:57 AM
Posted by brygold on 4/24/2014 1:20:00 AM (view original):

Personal opinion and experience based upon multiple seasons of HD and a few seasons of GD.  The playing field is so much more level at D-III and you have such a limited area to recruit versus making your way to the top of the D-I ladder where you simply aim and fire with little difficulty finding what you want.

Having not played V.1 or V.2, I have no idea.  But in my mind, regressing to simplicity makes us all much more like SIM AI game plans (which is essentially no game plans) as opposed to the actual customization that makes you possibly win or lose games on anything more than pick your best 22 guys and go on auto-pilot..  If your game plan is essentially "Offense: Balanced - Aggressive; Defense: Pass Heavy - Nomal" how does that: A. Teach new coaches anything, B. Improve the experience, C. Give you any reason to ever even check in from day to day besides check your scoring?  Sure, I can switch it up from Balanced to Pass Heavy or Normal to Conservative, but how do I even really know what those words mean, or care, when I know there is so much more behind the curtain.

I don't have any qualms necessarily about moving to D-II.  I do have a problem with spending 5 seasons learning the game and making my team pretty decent only to have WIS tell me it was potentially all for naught if I want to play the full version of the game.  Sure, WIS, give me the next 5 seasons on you and I'll happily close my mouth and move to D-II.  I think it's fair to say there would be a lot of ****** off D-IA coaches if WIS said, "You know, the elites are just too strong, we're going to take away advanced game planning options to level the playing field.....unless you want to move down to D-IAA."  

Not a personal attack.....don't know you from Steve......but if WIS told you that if you wanted to stay at Washington....where you have coached for an impressive and very successful 72 seasons...you had to give up advanced game planning and go to cookie cutter practice plans, would you be happy?  Your alternative is move to a different division all together.  Your thoughts?
If WIS forced me to move from UW or revert to basic mode and there was a level above (i.e. an NFL level) I would move up.  In fact, I would have already moved up, so this question would be moot.

If my team was at the highest level of the game and they were to force me to shift to basic coaching mode, that would mean the entire game was reverting to basic mode and I would have to decide if I wanted to continue playing with less control of my team.  But it would be everybody that would have less control of their team, so it would at least be a level playing field.

I have no qualms with spending a few seasons rebuilding a team.  If I was not already at my Alma Mater and favorite school, I would have moved to an elite a while ago, and may have bounced around trying new things at a new team every dozen seasons or so (back when the rewards structure was, well, rewarding, I took Hawaii in one world and tried that out for something like 10 seasons and the worst BCS team in the history of the world in another).

My real problem with all of this "sky-is-falling" attitude about this change is the complete lack of understanding of the situation.  There are a lot of dominant DIII coaches that are, no-doubt, very good at this game that have their little fiefdoms that they've built (and I'm sure that they did have to work hard to build them) at the entry-level to the game.  I know that they have SOME competition from their peers at that level, but that probably only amounts to 1-3 regular season games, and the 2nd or 3rd round and beyond in the playoffs.
New players come in to the game and either play a computer controlled team or a team that is going to beat them 70-3 (if they're lucky and get that FG... maybe they'll have the odd 55-17 game against a less experienced DIII coach).  I'm sure some stick it out to learn the game, but the vast majority won't, and probably a decent number of those might have if their initial experience with the game gave them some hope that they could compete.

DIII was never intended to be a place in this game to camp-out and pick off the newbies, season-in-and-season-out.  WIS has shown that intent in the past when they severely reduced the rewards available at that level if you made the playoffs more than, I think, three times (obviously that also had something to do with their bottom-line, but I wonder if that change actually did improve it).

And, the fact is, there really won't be anything different for the coaches that move up to DII and build their programs there, in the same manner they did at DIII.  The only caveat to that is those coaches that are coaching someplace that they have some real ties to.  I can completely understand that, but there's no reason that they couldn't just stay where they are and deal with the Basic Coaching mode like everyone else they would be playing.  I'm sure they would still dominate the level if they did.

Just my opinion on the matter.  I'm personally hopeful that this will push more coaches to move up the ladder and to DIA (as well as have worlds more full, in general).  In spite of this uproar from some coaches, I'd be stunned if this change ultimately significantly reduced the overall number of coaches in worlds.  I'd be far less surprised for it to increase ownership, as they intend (although I doubt that, as well).
4/24/2014 2:44 PM
I defer to the name of the game:  Gridiron Dynasty.  Not D1A Dynasty.  Not NFL Dynasty.  So, the idea that D3 was never intended to be a place where coaches camp out is not legit.

For me, I have calmed down a bit (not much, but a bit) and it realy boils down to a few things:  First, WIS launched an incomplete version (too many posts on this).  Second, this version had a boatload of complexities and PITA that many of us complained about.  Third, WIS decides to make a change that impacts only a portion of the games coaches on a short notice and we have invested (money and time) in these teams.  Last, the proposed changes IMO are a bandaid on a problem that could/should be addressed in a different manner.  Fixing the "complexities" across the board would be a better move IMO without dumbing down the D3 level.  

In addition, there is absolutely no sympathy from WIS towards paying customers.
4/24/2014 6:04 PM
Not only do I agree 100 percent with Casey, I would add that this makes it easier to maintain a dynasty at DIII if you already have the vision, not harder.
4/24/2014 6:16 PM
Posted by kcden on 4/24/2014 2:44:00 PM (view original):

If WIS forced me to move from UW or revert to basic mode and there was a level above (i.e. an NFL level) I would move up.  In fact, I would have already moved up, so this question would be moot.

If my team was at the highest level of the game and they were to force me to shift to basic coaching mode, that would mean the entire game was reverting to basic mode and I would have to decide if I wanted to continue playing with less control of my team.  But it would be everybody that would have less control of their team, so it would at least be a level playing field.

I have no qualms with spending a few seasons rebuilding a team.  If I was not already at my Alma Mater and favorite school, I would have moved to an elite a while ago, and may have bounced around trying new things at a new team every dozen seasons or so (back when the rewards structure was, well, rewarding, I took Hawaii in one world and tried that out for something like 10 seasons and the worst BCS team in the history of the world in another).

My real problem with all of this "sky-is-falling" attitude about this change is the complete lack of understanding of the situation.  There are a lot of dominant DIII coaches that are, no-doubt, very good at this game that have their little fiefdoms that they've built (and I'm sure that they did have to work hard to build them) at the entry-level to the game.  I know that they have SOME competition from their peers at that level, but that probably only amounts to 1-3 regular season games, and the 2nd or 3rd round and beyond in the playoffs.
New players come in to the game and either play a computer controlled team or a team that is going to beat them 70-3 (if they're lucky and get that FG... maybe they'll have the odd 55-17 game against a less experienced DIII coach).  I'm sure some stick it out to learn the game, but the vast majority won't, and probably a decent number of those might have if their initial experience with the game gave them some hope that they could compete.

DIII was never intended to be a place in this game to camp-out and pick off the newbies, season-in-and-season-out.  WIS has shown that intent in the past when they severely reduced the rewards available at that level if you made the playoffs more than, I think, three times (obviously that also had something to do with their bottom-line, but I wonder if that change actually did improve it).

And, the fact is, there really won't be anything different for the coaches that move up to DII and build their programs there, in the same manner they did at DIII.  The only caveat to that is those coaches that are coaching someplace that they have some real ties to.  I can completely understand that, but there's no reason that they couldn't just stay where they are and deal with the Basic Coaching mode like everyone else they would be playing.  I'm sure they would still dominate the level if they did.

Just my opinion on the matter.  I'm personally hopeful that this will push more coaches to move up the ladder and to DIA (as well as have worlds more full, in general).  In spite of this uproar from some coaches, I'd be stunned if this change ultimately significantly reduced the overall number of coaches in worlds.  I'd be far less surprised for it to increase ownership, as they intend (although I doubt that, as well).
I respect your opinion 100%.

The fact is, you never answered my actual question.  If you were forced to either move to D-IAA or keep Washington but no longer be able to advanced game plan or adjust your practice plan, would you be upset?  That's the question.  Not move to the NFL, not shift the entire game to basic coaching mode.....no one cares if it's your alma matter or favorite team (I'm a Cornell College and Creighton grad, Hawkeye for life - not coaching any of those teams).  The question is --- you pick one or the other, U of Washington with basic game planning and no customized practice plan or start over at D-IAA --- would you be upset?  Period.

Because that's what all of the D-III coaches are now facing.
4/25/2014 1:21 AM
Posted by brygold on 4/25/2014 1:21:00 AM (view original):
Posted by kcden on 4/24/2014 2:44:00 PM (view original):

The fact is, you never answered my actual question.  If you were forced to either move to D-IAA or keep Washington but no longer be able to advanced game plan or adjust your practice plan, would you be upset?  That's the question.  Not move to the NFL, not shift the entire game to basic coaching mode.....no one cares if it's your alma matter or favorite team (I'm a Cornell College and Creighton grad, Hawkeye for life - not coaching any of those teams).  The question is --- you pick one or the other, U of Washington with basic game planning and no customized practice plan or start over at D-IAA --- would you be upset?  Period.

Let me be clear....*no one at WIS cares if it is your alma matter or favorite team.

I personally wish I chose Cornell College instead of UW-Platteville the first time around.  (I chose Platteville because I played in a bball tournament there my senior year and they had 16 scholarships open and the best recent success of SIM AIs when I was choosing teams. I do like UW-Platteville.  I'm not an emotionless monster. And I like U of W.  Especially Timmy Lincecum and Hope Solo.  Truth be told, I'd love to live in Seattle.)
4/25/2014 2:08 AM

To be blunt, your actual question is ******* stupid, illogical and not at all analogous to the current situation.

DIA is the highest level of the game, with the most rewards points available and the most popular/recognizable college football teams.  DIAA is a step-down in all aspects.  That is why I answered a question of hypothetical similar situation.

DIII coaches are being encouraged (by policy change) to move up out of the beginner level, to a higher level of the game, with a more advantageous rewards points structure (I believe you can make the playoffs four or five times before they start to reduce at DII) and where, by definition there are no beginners.

Now I will answer your illogical question: If I was put in a position where I could stay at UW with a Basic Coaching mode (where everyone else I was playing was also using the basic coaching mode) or move DOWN to DIAA for advanced mode, I would probably just stay at UW, and I might move to DIAA in a different world if I was enjoying the game enough at the time.

And who the **** even implied that anyone, besides me, "cares if it's [my] alma mater"?  I'm merely stating why I already haven't moved on from UW to a somewhat higher level of the game (coaching at an Elite).
4/25/2014 8:50 AM
Posted by kcden on 4/25/2014 8:50:00 AM (view original):

To be blunt, your actual question is ******* stupid, illogical and not at all analogous to the current situation.

DIA is the highest level of the game, with the most rewards points available and the most popular/recognizable college football teams.  DIAA is a step-down in all aspects.  That is why I answered a question of hypothetical similar situation.

DIII coaches are being encouraged (by policy change) to move up out of the beginner level, to a higher level of the game, with a more advantageous rewards points structure (I believe you can make the playoffs four or five times before they start to reduce at DII) and where, by definition there are no beginners.

Now I will answer your illogical question: If I was put in a position where I could stay at UW with a Basic Coaching mode (where everyone else I was playing was also using the basic coaching mode) or move DOWN to DIAA for advanced mode, I would probably just stay at UW, and I might move to DIAA in a different world if I was enjoying the game enough at the time.

And who the **** even implied that anyone, besides me, "cares if it's [my] alma mater"?  I'm merely stating why I already haven't moved on from UW to a somewhat higher level of the game (coaching at an Elite).
Wow.
4/25/2014 8:52 AM
Wow or not, he is right.

Your analogy was faulty.

It is harder to get to DIA than DIAA, so you are talking about moving down, not up. It's just not the same.

It is like asking someone on the PGA Tour if they would move down to the secondary tour if they were suddenly only allowed 12 clubs.

4/25/2014 9:05 AM
It's not about the level so much as it is forcing you to move from your established team.  That's what I don't think makes sense.  D-II is probably just as fun as D-III, or maybe more fun, I don't know....haven't coached there.  The point is, to force a portion of your paying customers to make a choice between moving from their established schools or playing a dumbed down version of the game is a bad idea.

It doesn't affect anyone in D-II or above.  So I was trying to analogize it in a way that it would.  I don't care if we say "the Pac-10 can't use advanced controls" or "state schools can't use advanced controls" the point is, the update affects some coaches and not others.  And when those coaches have been at their schools and built a program, arbitrarily forcing them to move if they want to play the full version of the game just doesn't make sense to me.  The game shouldn't be different no matter what level you are at.  And each level has it's own inherent pluses and minuses.  Different people like different levels.

Maybe other people don't care if they have to go start over somewhere else.  It wouldn't be my choice.  Thankfully, this is a $10.00/month game that has basically zero bearing on life as we live it.  Is it worth getting so worked up about that we start being insulting?  Nope.  Sure isn't.
4/25/2014 9:40 AM
Posted by dublinuf on 4/24/2014 6:16:00 PM (view original):
Not only do I agree 100 percent with Casey, I would add that this makes it easier to maintain a dynasty at DIII if you already have the vision, not harder.
Really?  Taking advantages away will make it easier to maintain a dynasty?     

I get that a lot of veteran coaches look down on D3.  I happen to like D3.  I like the playoffs.  I like player development.  I especially like recruiting because of the limited budget and strategy involved.  D2 has always been relatively empty.  D1AA has always been a ghost town.  I like D1 because of the competition.  All things being equal, I would love to have D1 level competition with D3 players, budget and playoffs, which is essentially what we had in 1.0.  

I understand the frustration of coaches being forced to move from D3 to use the all engine levers as intended.  IMO, it's a bad move because it basically removes a very fun division for serious coaches.    
4/25/2014 10:34 AM
12 Next ▸
So let me understand this new update completely... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.