High Speed Rated Lineups - Topic

great stuff fellas.  

i agree 100%  em.   viva la difference!

i love any topic in HD where there are divergrent opinions by successful coaches.
1/31/2014 7:39 PM
Relating to SPD in the Rebounding equation:

Q: Other than REB, ATH and IQ, what goes into the equation of who gets a REBOUND? (Trentonjoe - Hall of Famer - 3:01 PM)
That's essentially it, other than things like fatigue and health.

This is from June 2012.
1/31/2014 7:51 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/31/2014 3:28:00 PM (view original):
"so, in short, if you have the ath/def, i dont think you really need the elite guard speed, not on defense."

I think you do.....I'll post some #'s tonight.
I couldn't find the #'s I was looking for but this guy has been a bit of a disappointment for me.

Travis Strauser

PG
Athleticism 99

Speed 68  
Rebounding 1  
Defense 99  
Shot Blocking 5  
Low-post 20  
Perimeter 10  
Ball Handling 54

Passing 20

Work Ethic 67  
Stamina 87

Durability 49  
FT Shooting C+  

I play him most of the time at SF but tried last year to sneak him at SG when my opponent had a super good scoring threat there.  What I found was the 90 SPD/PER guys didn't quite own him but they shot about average against him from behind the arc.   I also found he was similarly effective against the super high ATH/LP  SF types. All though there was really only one.

It may have been his lowish DEF IQ (B- to B+) last season.   I'll keep an eye on it this season.
1/31/2014 8:00 PM (edited)
Posted by gillispie1 on 1/31/2014 3:04:00 PM (view original):
emy, can you elaborate on HOW speed is useful to bigs? we know its 100% useless for rebounding, and im pretty confident it does very little on defense. i certainly could be wrong, but offense is the one area i could see speed mattering in a substantial way, but still far in the shadow of ath/lp. i feel the same way coming from a press perspective - i don't value speed in my bigs even playing press. so what is it that speed makes better? fg% defense, steals, increased fg%, drawing fouls, what?

for the record, i would not even think twice before taking the first guy, with the +10 reb and -40 speed. with that athleticism, this guy isn't going to be a scorer, and so i don't even think there is need for a second thought. now if you are going to ask me with a guy with 80-100 ath and lp caps, would i give up that 10 rebounding for the 40 speed... no, i still wouldn't, but i'd at least have to think about it. give him some per and bh and you might actually get me to take the speed - the one and only place i actually think you can see speed helping bigs (meaning its important enough to detect with your eyes, not with a regression analysis tool), is in terms of jump shooting (leading to increased fg%).
Billyg, I'd take the speed anyway just for versatility's sake and being able to slide people around in the lineup.a PF or c with a fifty speed might be able to see time at sf, or depending on how high be switched to sf to take advantage of other players or let you alter your recruiting goals more easily.
2/1/2014 10:23 AM
good read
10/24/2014 11:58 PM
Yeah nice read. Now, the other question would be : how do you beat speedy press teams... I am having headaches with these teams. There must be flaws to exploit or game set-ups to implement to diminish turnovers and fatigue.
10/25/2014 11:15 AM
Beat press with players that don't turn the ball over a lot - can score - and can make FT's.
10/27/2014 10:35 AM
curse you for digging up a thread that had "etta" as a poster!!
10/27/2014 2:45 PM
I like speed even at the 4 and 5 in my d1 press.

I typically have ath 90+ d 90+ and speed 90+ for my 1 and two. Depending on the team, my 3 as well... But it doesn't seem to be as impt at the three.

But I have noticed every big I've had who has been below 50 on speed has underperformed. They can be 99 ath. Def, reb, and lp, and they still underperform compared to 90/50 ath/ speed guys.

I do think speed matters at every position in the press. More at the 1,2,3 for sure
I don't like to take guys under 59 speed anywhere.
10/31/2014 12:30 PM
Definitely agree - and running zone these last seasons - I don't get many steals. But when I have a fast lineup my zone team can match M2M in steals. Seems that speed is the most important attribute for getting steals.
10/31/2014 1:11 PM
◂ Prev 123
High Speed Rated Lineups - Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.