All Forums > SimLeague Baseball > MLB > 2015 baseball HOF ballot.
2/13/2014 8:55 AM
You should ask John Wetteland that question. The two most signature ab's in Mariners history, granted that's not saying a lot, were both Edgar sticking it to the Ysnkees, in clutch playoff situations.
2/13/2014 9:49 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/13/2014 8:46:00 AM (view original):

"GIVE ME THE DAMN BALL!!!" or "walk me, please".

Which of those do you want on your team with the game on the line?

please provide evidence that Edgar ever took the "walk me, please" approach. I'll even accept comments form pitchers he faced that said he was not aggressive at the plate, that we went up there with the idea of looking for a walk. Of course the 300/400/500 slash line suggests otherwise...unless you think the obp of .400+ should be lower for all middle of the order hitters...which seems to be what you are arguing.
2/13/2014 9:57 AM
I didn't miss much in the few pages I missed.

"please provide evidence that Edgar ever took the "walk me, please" approach." - This.

I fully expect Mikewrg to bring up the argument of "Jeff Bagwell walked too much" when HOF voting discussions rolls around next year.  Because there's just as much evidence to Bagwell being too patient in big spots as Edgar.  Or almost every other elite slugger, ever.

It's a biz argument.  Sad.

2/13/2014 9:58 AM

Hahahaha.  Obviously Edgar is "walk me please." Because....um....<looking for reasons>...
2/13/2014 10:12 AM

What does that have to do with Edgar Martinez?
2/13/2014 10:21 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/13/2014 10:12:00 AM (view original):

What does that have to do with Edgar Martinez?
What hitter ever says "Give me the damn ball"? Wouldn't the pitcher be trying to hit the batter then? Or if he is tossing it too him, I would think it likely to be out of the strike zone. So perhaps, Give me the damn ball, is just a more macho tecwrg way of saying "walk me please".

Perhaps what tec meant to say was, "Please throw me a pitch I can do something with (doesn't even have to be a strike...maybe an outside pitch that can be driven the other way.

Now, I understand a pitcher saying, "Give me the damn ball"...or a basketball player, a running back or a receiver. Perhaps tecwrg was confused...or just made a mistake.

2/13/2014 3:30 PM
I always give credit to Mike and tec. They are bulldogs when it comes to internet arguments. Granted, they are retarded bulldogs that have a hold of their own nuts and wont let go, but they are bulldogs nonetheless.
3/15/2014 9:03 AM
<<He's getting worse, too, in terms of his approach.  Consistently worse.  Last year he set career highs not only in swing rate, but also in swing rate on balls outside the strike zone.  According to Baseball Info Solutions, Jones swung at 59% of pitches last season.  Only 42% of the pitches thrown to him were in the strike zone.  His swing rate on pitches out of the zone was 44.9%.  Davis, by contrast, swung at 35.7% of pitches out of the zone.  Miggy swung at 34%.  Mike Trout swung at an incredible 24.2% of balls thrown outside the strike zone.>>

Above post from another thread....

MikeT would undoubtedly say that Trout would be a better hitter and help his team more if he would start swinging at more of those pitches out of the strike zone.

of 54
All Forums > SimLeague Baseball > MLB > 2015 baseball HOF ballot.

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.