I seem to get the same results if I put 10 minutes on a formation as I do if I put 20 minutes on a formation. By the time my players are seniors in D3 they still only max out at around 60 knowledge of a formation.Would like to hear opinions on this. Should i just put 10 min on a formation and use the rest for individual workout? what is the max minutes you spend on a formation? Do you find that formations even factor into the games as much as they should? 
12/18/2013 11:09 AM
i use 10 minutes for each offensive formation i run and 7 for each defensive formation (since i use more)
12/19/2013 9:25 AM
I think that the current state of GD gives very little emphasis to formation IQ growth via practice.  I have noticed a greater growth with players who are playing in the games and using the formations.  I think bobprobert's range of 7 to 10 is a good range.  By the way I tried to point this out to WIS, but they said I was wrong.
12/19/2013 10:34 AM
I use and practice two offensive and two defensive formations, and practice each one 7 min, and also practice spec teams 7 min.for a total of 35 min., with the balance going to individual skills. This has worked for me in DIII. Also, for maximum player growth there is no substitute for "Playing Time"!!!!
12/19/2013 1:37 PM
I practice formations at a significantly higher level than most (13-15 mins).  Hoping it pays off one day when/if the engine is changed to reflect its importance.  May dial it back, but hoping I start seeing some positive effect of investing more in formations. 
12/19/2013 11:28 PM
I have seen some positive effect, what I haven't seen is major growth differences from 8-15 points in a formation

12/19/2013 11:54 PM
I'm putting 3-4 minutes into a formation and getting an average of 12 formation IQ points back in a season (3.5 fiq points per minute). What sort of yield are the rest of you seeing?
12/20/2013 11:31 AM

So far (6 games) I have 10 points in two forms and 6 in another.  For the starters on my team they have 10-11 points in the two forms depending on GPA and 8-10 in the 3rd.  For the others its 7-9 and 6-8.

12/20/2013 12:20 PM
X / Y = Z, where X = the average improvement in formation IQ, Y = the number of minutes you practiced that formation, and Z = the yield per practice minute. I'm not sure the graph is a straight line, but it'll be easier to chart a deviation if I have a baseline.
12/20/2013 1:54 PM

It seemed to me that there is a cap on formation practice. Like a players formation increase would max out at 20 or so points in a season. That was at 8 minutes per formation but it seemed to not go up much at all late in the season..

I've only had one season so I dont know for sure. Does this seem right? Or have I been hitting the eggnog too much?

12/21/2013 10:07 AM (edited)
Right now I am just putting 3 minutes in all formations. Seems to be working ok so far. e.g.  Gridiron Dynasty - Football Sim Games - Player Profile: Leon Cote. We are finishing up the regular season tonight. He has only gotten into 2 games. He has developed 10-11 in all formations this season on 3 minutes practice per.
12/21/2013 11:00 PM (edited)
I'm seeing similar to what you are BJ, but I have 5 games left in the reg. season. (8 per form)
12/22/2013 1:59 AM
To me, you seem to obtain the best value for only 1 minutes practice. The benefit of each subsequent minute's practice is reduced on a sliding basis. However, to balance that, it's not a lot of use spending even 1 minute on a formation you never use, unless you change formations season to season depending on the strength and depth of each draft.
12/22/2013 7:58 AM
Posted by polarsi on 12/22/2013 7:58:00 AM (view original):
To me, you seem to obtain the best value for only 1 minutes practice. The benefit of each subsequent minute's practice is reduced on a sliding basis. However, to balance that, it's not a lot of use spending even 1 minute on a formation you never use, unless you change formations season to season depending on the strength and depth of each draft.
An excellent point. I've tried that before, but I run mostly proset. If you don't have the players to run PS, you won't do any better in WB or ND. It's more useful on D, especially if you're working around injuries. If you run 4-3/3-4 and your top ILB goes down, it's a comfort to be able to retreat to 5-2/Nickel (I wish WIS had an option for the 3-3-5).
12/22/2013 10:54 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.