In Version 1 of the Sweet Sixteen League 16 participants took turns owning a season of each of the 16 original franchises. Each league season each owners got a different franchise. Thus every owner got a turn owning the Yankees, Cardinals, Dodgers etc. Each league season all 16 of the original franchises must be selected. In each season the owner built a franchise using any player in franchise history.
In version 2, Instead of using any player in franchise history, you will use a particular season for each franchise. You may use any season from 1901-2012 in the franchise history. For example, for the Yankees you may use 1927, 1939, 1998 or any other season you wish. For franchises which have moved cities, you may use any season as well-for example for the Senators/Twins you may use the 1925 or 1933 Senators or the 1965, 1991 or 2004 Twins (or any other season in franchise history).
The test will be to see which owners can select the correct "best" team for each franchise.
For Version 2, 12 owners have elected to return, leaving 4 spots open.
For season #1, after 16 owners have entered there will be a random draw (using random.org) to determine the order of team selection. For subsequent seasons, team selection will be in reverse order of the prior season W/L Pct. with cumulative W/L Pct. being the tiebreaker (lowest Pct. goes first). Since everyone will eventually be owning all 16 teams, I don't think tanking provisions are necessary. I will post cumulative W/L records for each owner and each franchise after every season
Promptly after the completion of each regular season, the commissioner will post the draft order for team and stadium selection for the following season. Since this is a one-round draft, the first full day after the draft order is posted will be off the clock. At the end of the first full day if the draft is not completed the commissioner will post times for day 3 of the draft and the draft will continue off the clock for day 2. At the end of day 3, any owner who has not made a draft selection will be deemed to have withdrawn from the league and the commissioner will immediately recruit for a replacement.
As far as team names are concerned, you may use any name used by the selected franchise as shown below. The stadium used must be a stadium used by the team name selected-i.e. if you decided to use the Brooklyn Dodgers name you cannot use Dodger stadium in Los Angeles. As team names are selected during the team selection, they will be shown in BOLD below. Please use the actual exact team name, including the year chosen (i.e.1939 New York Yankees), for the season you have selected as I will keep records for each franchise by season so we can, for example, see which Yankee team had the best record in Sweet Sixteen league play.
FRANCHISES AND POSSIBLE TEAM NAMES:
1. Atlanta Braves 1966-2012, Milwaukee Braves 1953-1965, Boston Braves 1941-1952 & 1912-1935, Boston Bees 1936-1940, Boston Doves 1907-1910 and Boston Beaneaters 1901-1906
2.Baltimore Orioles 1954-2012, St. Louis Browns 1902-1953, Milwaukee Brewers 1901
3. Boston Red Sox 1908-2012, Boston Americans 1901-1907
4. Chicago Cubs 1903-2012, Chicago Orphans 1901-1902
5. Chicago White Sox 1901-2012
6. Cincinnati Reds 1901-2012
7. Cleveland Indians 1916-2012, Cleveland Naps 1903-1914, Cleveland Blues 1901-1902
8. Detroit Tigers 1901-2012
9. Los Angeles Dodgers 1958-2012, Brooklyn Dodgers 1931-1957 & 1911-1913, Brooklyn Robins 1914-1930, Brooklyn Superbas 1901-1910
10. Minnesota Twins 1961-2012, Washington Senators 1901-1960
11. New York Yankees 1913-2012, New York Highlanders 1903-1912, Baltimore Orioles 1901-1902
12. Oakland Athletics 1968-2012, Kansas City Athletics 1955-1967, Philadelphia Athletics 1901-1954
13. Philadelphia Phillies 1946-2012, Philadelphia Blue Jays 1944-1945, Philadelphia Phillies 1901-1943
14. Pittsburgh Pirates 1901-2012
15. St. Louis Cardinals 1901-2012
16. San Francisco Giants 1958-2012, New York Giants 1901-1957
Division alignment will be geographic and will vary from season to season based on the teams selected-for example, a Brooklyn Dodgers team will be placed in the NL East while a Los Angeles Dodgers team will be placed in the NL West.
Seasons 1901-2012, Salary Cap $120 Mil, No clones, WW, AAA or DH.
If interested in playing in Version 2 please sign up below and vote on whether or not we should require purchase of a $10 gift certificate to join the league.
Because of the nature of the league, replacement of owners midway through the 16 seasons becomes difficult so while I realize that medical situations or changed financial conditions may arise that make continuation impossible, I do request that you not sign up unless you currently expect to be able to play all 16 seasons. In version 1 we had 14 owners who played all 16 seasons and one owner who played 15 seasons.