All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > We've Gone To Far To Give Up Now!
6/8/2013 1:30 AM
I've been away from the beta for about 3 weeks. Looks like some good things are starting to happen, but I'm dissapointed in the lack of excitement I see on the boards now. Look guy's, we've come a long way since day one. I realize as well as anyone that we have a LONG way yet to go but we'll get there. It doesn't make one bit of difference who leads the way. Norbert, oriole_fan, redhawk_514, etc., we/they all have one thing in common. We all want 3.0 to be awesome, and I, for one, still believe it can and will be.
oriole_fan/redhawk, tell us exactly what you need and I'm sure you'll get the support you need from this community. Plus some!

6/8/2013 2:05 AM
well i took St Norbert in DIII for the brown nose special so i really don't think that much of oriole_fan or redhawk_514
6/8/2013 8:23 AM
Just curious. That helps us how?
6/8/2013 11:39 AM
What good things have happened?
6/11/2013 1:20 AM
The PBP is better, the test game feature is great, and the game planning is tighter. The main issue is that the ratings still don't mean as much as they should. Whether its v2 or v3 once you have the horses u will win about 90 % of the time.
6/11/2013 7:49 AM
starfinder, do you feel like all of the ratings need to meare or just certain ones? It looks to me like most ratings are on line, but some of the defensive positions, especially the DB's, aren't. The best DB's in the game still get burned time after time, and that shouldn't happen...
6/11/2013 8:54 PM
I still beleive that we can make this game far superior than 2.0. My take on the problems:

1) Play outcomes are still too variable.  According to Norbert, match-ups end up falling into a range of outcomes after each step rather than a definite single outcome. The step and play outcome should be determined by the differences between each players attributes needed for that step modified by whatever modifiers are used (tech, IQ, fatigue etc). The greater the difference the bigger the outcome (or smaller if defense wins). Now - player attribute comparisons are off balance. This needs to be worked on first even it it means backtracking the code in 3.0 to almost first release codes.

2) Fatigue-itization - Now all players, regardless of stamina start at 100 and seem to decrease per play at the same rate, and bounce back at a similar rate.  One quick study was of two OL both set at 85%,  one at 44 STA and one of 67 STA. In one half with 3 long drives the 44 STA OL played 26/35 plays. The 67 STA played 28/35 plays. With just minimal differences in fatigue and recovery, during the play the 23 point player difference in fatigue meant very little. If fatigue is calculated per play at: (Starting fatigue - (100 - STA)/100) = end of play fatigue. And recovery per play was calculated as: (Fatigue level + STA/100) = new fatigue level. Both players would play a more representative game based on their fatigue attribute.

3) Re-setting the player attributes - Any physical rating (athleticism, speed, durability, strength, stamina, elusiveness) needs to be reset in recruit settings to be more representative of the range of possibilities of a SIM game college player. OL with speed less than 10 (Means best college WR with speed of 90 would win a 100 yd race by 80+ yards?). Same with the other attributes. Think of multiple bench press tests, 40 yd dash times, or other combine events and tighten the range on attributes from D1A to DIII. Right now some of the mis-matches look like Forrest Gump running for Alabama.

4) Make DB/LB match-ups against RB/TE/WR more man coverage, with left over defensive players getting to double team. The PBP now which indicates "players in the area" doesn't really indicate the match-ups. PBP should read "WR Smith is (tightly covered by, breaking away from) DB Jones" or "TE Deen (wide open, working through traffic) from coverage by LB Butkus short middle" or "WR Smith held up at the line by short cover of DB Jones" all depending on who wins the match-up battle 1 v 1, what the offense play call is and what the defense depth is set at.

Time for dinner - Done for now - - uh oh -  Better go!
6/13/2013 12:34 PM
Starfinder, if the ratings don't mean as much as they should, how do the better horses win 90% of the time?  The whole game is based on RATINGS!!!
6/14/2013 12:31 AM
The better players have the better ratings, hence the better horses.
6/14/2013 12:34 AM
Posted by coach_deen on 6/11/2013 7:49:00 AM (view original):
starfinder, do you feel like all of the ratings need to meare or just certain ones? It looks to me like most ratings are on line, but some of the defensive positions, especially the DB's, aren't. The best DB's in the game still get burned time after time, and that shouldn't happen...
I mean ratings across the board. Right now you can test a team that you have somewhat built up against a horrible sim and if the run pass on the gameplan, they'll beat you the majority of the time
6/14/2013 1:26 AM
Posted by starfinder77 on 6/14/2013 12:34:00 AM (view original):
Posted by coach_deen on 6/11/2013 7:49:00 AM (view original):
I mean ratings across the board. Right now you can test a team that you have somewhat built up against a horrible sim and if the run pass on the gameplan, they'll beat you the majority of the time
Not sure what you mean by "if the run pass on the game plan", but I beat all SIMS almost 100% of the time if not 100%...
6/14/2013 7:34 AM
I have to agree with Coach Deen here.  Certainly the "chuck it all" over offense is hard to stop, but talent (ratings) are just as important, especially if you use part of the "chuck it all over" offense yourself (talent will be the deciding factor).  The problem might be in the defensive ratings, not neccesarily all ratings.  The linebackers and defensive line seem to work ok.  Coverage is broken, and def backs seem to be at a serious disadvantage against their reciever counterparts.  If you can somehow adjust that, recievers and QBs will fall in line, and coaches will adjust the gameplans accordingly. 

The run game seems to work fairly well.  Passing worked ok in season 2 and in season 1 it was underpowered.  Not sure what the solution is, but if you can dial it up (season3), can't you rewind and dial it back a bit?  I think it should be possible.  This "arena league" season was fun, but was not really representative of college football.           
6/14/2013 4:47 PM
I'm about ready to give it up.
6/14/2013 7:01 PM
cebrake, you're one of the best to ever coach GD. Hang in man, they're getting closer every day and WILL get this thing right, and when they we'll need coaches like you!
6/14/2013 7:11 PM
Posted by cebrake on 6/14/2013 4:47:00 PM (view original):
I'm about ready to give it up.
I don't blame you. I've played GD for 6 years and this season will be the first that I've ever set my gameplan for the season and walked away. Recruiting is my favorite part of the game, so I'll probably continue that for now.
of 2
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > We've Gone To Far To Give Up Now!

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.