All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Result Expectations: questions/comments
4/19/2013 4:56 PM
I've spent a lot of time on getting plays to play out and working through the match ups and results, adjusting them for ratings and settings, but I've had to make some assumptions along the way.

What I'd like to do is open up a general discussion in what you would expect to see in results given different situations.  What do you expect to see in inside rushing versus outside rushing?  What do you expect to see with Short cover versus Long cover?

I don't want to get too much into specific result numbers but more of what you expect to see when comparing these different situations.  Also if you have any questions about what currently goes into a play and how the different ratings and settings affect the play, I'll try to answer those.

4/19/2013 7:48 PM
One thing I have been thinking about concerns play calling - especially defense. If we set our defense up for 50-50 run vs pass we are really saying we think the offense may go with either play call. But the sim gives us all pass or all run as defense. Setting up for other percentages (80-20, 20-80) whatever gives us better odds to call our hunch on the offense play call, but still will produce an all rush or all pass defense.

What I would like to propose for line play - is that the defensive play call would be a level of confidence in the possibility of a call for the offense. If we give a 80 (rush) - 20 (pass) DEF play call we are attempting to bolster our DL player ratings or formation IQ advantage to stop the offensive rush play and will be willing to accept some ratings or IQ dis-advantage for a passing play. Various team and player behaviours could be instigated using these confidence levels (CL). Since the offense knows what play it is running it should have a default (CL) of about 70 (since no matter what play the OFF is running, it doesn't know what the DEF is doing). If the defense guess is correct at 70, the play runs straight values + bonus for blitz.. If the DEF guesses correct and is above 70, the defense has an advantage and the chances of bad things happening for the OFF (fumbles, INT, sacks, stuffs etc) increase. If it guesses conservative or totally wrong, the offense takes the advantage by whatever the margin of difference the (CL) was for that play. This would work well for the first 2 or 3 steps currently in the game.

Effects for pass coverage - short - medium - long - provide opportunities for defensive positioning on pass plays as they do now. (OFF short pass vs DEF long coverage would benefit the OFF, matches benefit the DEF)
4/19/2013 8:36 PM

When we first started on this excursion into update land, what we wanted that the last version did not allow was us to develop our team to take advantage of player match-ups and mis-matches. We would also like to be able to take these into game planning. I think the current set-up will allow us to do that that and I commend Norbert on the set-up of the depth charts, formations and game plans. My expectations regarding the execution of the plays and match-ups and the results are that they be consistent. and explainable. With variables of form IQ, tech, stamina and play calling it is difficult to dissect each play, and perhaps knowing from Norbert how much each one has in any circumstance would allow us to know what range is expected and how that would effect an outcome. Also, as Norbert stated above, what attributes play into different situations - pass rush, run stopper, deep cover, outside rushing etc.

Situations: Inside running - high strength + high durabiity RB gets better YPC, very few losses >2 yds, most gains at 3 - 5 yds, with long runs possible but not frequently ususally against long cover
Outside running, Behind line passes - higher speed + high elusive RB gets better YPC, losses up to 5-6 yards, most gains at 3 - 5 yards and more gains in 8-12 yard range with long runs possible - especially with long cover
Short passes - RB, TE, WR - high percentage completion against long cover, less aginst short cover. More YAC against long cover, less against short. Medium in the middle, more YAC on short, med with increased strength, elusiveness. More wide open looks with higher GI of WR (QB needs less tech and GI to complete to wide open reciever)
Long passes - Speed vs speed - WR with high speed wins against short cover, speed less a factor against long cover.

4/24/2013 12:21 AM
Thought I'd run this one through again. It started on a Friday and sorta got lost over the weekend.
4/24/2013 6:11 AM
Posted by katzphang88 on 4/19/2013 8:36:00 PM (view original):

When we first started on this excursion into update land, what we wanted that the last version did not allow was us to develop our team to take advantage of player match-ups and mis-matches. We would also like to be able to take these into game planning. I think the current set-up will allow us to do that that and I commend Norbert on the set-up of the depth charts, formations and game plans. My expectations regarding the execution of the plays and match-ups and the results are that they be consistent. and explainable. With variables of form IQ, tech, stamina and play calling it is difficult to dissect each play, and perhaps knowing from Norbert how much each one has in any circumstance would allow us to know what range is expected and how that would effect an outcome. Also, as Norbert stated above, what attributes play into different situations - pass rush, run stopper, deep cover, outside rushing etc.

Situations: Inside running - high strength + high durabiity RB gets better YPC, very few losses >2 yds, most gains at 3 - 5 yds, with long runs possible but not frequently ususally against long cover
Outside running, Behind line passes - higher speed + high elusive RB gets better YPC, losses up to 5-6 yards, most gains at 3 - 5 yards and more gains in 8-12 yard range with long runs possible - especially with long cover
Short passes - RB, TE, WR - high percentage completion against long cover, less aginst short cover. More YAC against long cover, less against short. Medium in the middle, more YAC on short, med with increased strength, elusiveness. More wide open looks with higher GI of WR (QB needs less tech and GI to complete to wide open reciever)
Long passes - Speed vs speed - WR with high speed wins against short cover, speed less a factor against long cover.

I could spend 20 minutes typing and hope to come up with something that is understood, but since katzphang88 has said exactly what I would try to say, but better, I'll just +1. Great job explaining what is expected katz, at least from my perspective. Thanks!
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Result Expectations: questions/comments

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.