3/24/2013 3:52 PM
Hey everyone.  What are the thoughts on the following: "The recruiting period for next season is scheduled to begin on Thu, Mar. 28 - 12:01 PM ET"?

Why have it start in the middle of a work day?  I know this is not competitive and is mainly for testing, but if we can't fill our positions with decent players, or build the type of team we envision, we can't truly test if things are working like we expect them to.  I know generally the recruting has started on Saturdays in other worlds, so is anyone else suprised by this?   By the time I get home from work, I will have missed 2-3 cycles.  I am just one person, but Thursday afternoon is generally a work day.  Is losing 2 days to wait for a weekend really hastening progress when most of us would have been ready to recruit this weekend (as in now)?    
3/24/2013 4:22 PM
Isn't there a 24 hour 'hold' on the first day? That didn't use to be the case. This would allow people to get in some recruiting actions regardless of their schedule.
3/24/2013 6:08 PM
Posted by hypnotoad on 3/24/2013 4:22:00 PM (view original):
Isn't there a 24 hour 'hold' on the first day? That didn't use to be the case. This would allow people to get in some recruiting actions regardless of their schedule.
+1
3/24/2013 7:01 PM
You have 24 hours to put in your 1st cycle recruiting actions (so you don't have to try to do it in the middle of the work day, you can wait until after you get home). So you can put them in at 12:01 PM on the 28th, or 11:59AM on the 29th - you still won't see the results until after 12 NOON on the 29th. This is the way the 24 hour first cycle has always worked.
3/24/2013 8:08 PM
Ahhh ok I forgot about the 24 hour first day hold.  Still, 24 hours later, it is Friday at noon, the middle of another work day (at least for me).  Saturday and SUnday seems much more convenient to get things started.  Maybe I was spoiled in the world I have played in.  Recruiting always fell on the weekend.   
3/24/2013 10:50 PM
I played in Rockne world for the past 15 seasons where recruiting starts on Tuesdays and also played in Camp where it starts on Fridays and haven't seen much difference. 
3/25/2013 8:19 AM (edited)

Well, like I said above, perhaps I was spoiled and didn't even realize it....   Based on the responses, it would seem I was.   I still think it is a decent suggestion though, and not just for Beta, but for all worlds.  It would be nice if recruiting started on Friday or Saturday to take advantage of the weekend and what **should**  be extra free time for coaches.  Just because something has always been done one way, doesn't mean it is always the best way, or that there is no room for improvement.   

3/25/2013 8:44 AM
Not everyone works Monday to Friday, for non Beta worlds there seems to be a fair mix of recruiting start days, just choose a day that works for you.
3/25/2013 3:15 PM
Posted by samson75 on 3/25/2013 8:19:00 AM (view original):

Well, like I said above, perhaps I was spoiled and didn't even realize it....   Based on the responses, it would seem I was.   I still think it is a decent suggestion though, and not just for Beta, but for all worlds.  It would be nice if recruiting started on Friday or Saturday to take advantage of the weekend and what **should**  be extra free time for coaches.  Just because something has always been done one way, doesn't mean it is always the best way, or that there is no room for improvement.   

Recruting does start on Friday in 2 of the worlds and saturday for the other 4.
3/25/2013 4:16 PM
Posted by graham1958 on 3/25/2013 8:44:00 AM (view original):
Not everyone works Monday to Friday, for non Beta worlds there seems to be a fair mix of recruiting start days, just choose a day that works for you.
That is all well and good, but do the worlds advertise what day recruiting starts when signing up?  How exactly do you go about picking?  Perhaps there is a way and I am just unaware of it.  As far as varying schedules go, I actually agree with you to an extent:  Not everyone works Monday to Friday.  Having some variety could be a good thing, but I am not sure that variety is even known by most who sign up. 

After reading Hazing's comment, I suppose none of this matters.  Looks like most worlds are already organized around the weekend (not to mention it seemed to be a disliked suggestion).   

3/25/2013 4:18 PM
Only in DIII at the middle and lower levels does it seem important to get in on the first cycles. Sometimes in DII. D1AA and D1A it is sometimes better to wait.
3/25/2013 5:37 PM
Posted by samson75 on 3/25/2013 4:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by graham1958 on 3/25/2013 8:44:00 AM (view original):
That is all well and good, but do the worlds advertise what day recruiting starts when signing up?  How exactly do you go about picking?  Perhaps there is a way and I am just unaware of it.  As far as varying schedules go, I actually agree with you to an extent:  Not everyone works Monday to Friday.  Having some variety could be a good thing, but I am not sure that variety is even known by most who sign up. 

After reading Hazing's comment, I suppose none of this matters.  Looks like most worlds are already organized around the weekend (not to mention it seemed to be a disliked suggestion).   

Recruiting starts three days after New Coach signups begin. The New Coach signup date is given on the signup page  (http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/Signup/).  The three day period is given in the FAQ/User Guide pages.
3/26/2013 2:41 AM
Good info.  Thanks MgM. 
3/26/2013 4:00 PM
Posted by samson75 on 3/25/2013 8:19:00 AM (view original):

What about military guys in a 12 hour different time zone, etc.

How about people who work the mid shift... Or who work weekends, etc.

The only fair thing is just to do it when the time comes up and make no exceptions for anyone.

If your job means you can't play... Then, you can't play.

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.