All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > test game function creating espionage
3/21/2013 8:51 AM
So, I am preparing for my national semifinal game last night(as indicated in another post) and struggling to find a winning recipe after realizing that wr screens were not effective after the newest update.  After at least 100 test with almost every single formation I pretty much gave up and left in a a trips package that would keep the game close but NOT consistently winning.

At about 12:30 AM (Eastern TIME) I woke back up and to see if anyone responded to one of my forum posts. I started reading about some of the shotgun running success so I checked my opponents game history to see how he played the shotgun. He played with the nickle medium coverage.

I tried  new testing with this at 1:00 AM Eastern time.  With his package indeed using nickel medium cover I realized I was now crushing him.  I switch back to my old trips package to see if what an update doing this. Trips still wasn't working against him so at 1:45 AM Eastern time I put the running Shotgun back in.

WELL APPARANTLY my opponent must of waited until 2:00 AM Eastern time to finalize his plans because for the 1st time in 15 games he decided to play a shotgun with a 43 rush defense 100%blitz.

NORBERT, perhaps we can make the test game function NOT allow our opponents to know what our gameplans are. Its not exactly fair. And I sure I can speak for alot of people when I say I don't want to have to set my alarm for 2:29 AM Eastern Time every night to keep my opponents from knowing exactly what I am doing.
3/21/2013 9:19 AM
Let me make sure I understand, tiger.  You used the testing function after midnight Eastern time trying to find an edge and you did.  You checked again at 1 am, and at 1:45 am still were happy with the results.  Then he apparently did the same thing, but later than you, made changes, and was similarly successful.  If he hadn't done that, and your 1:45 am changes had let you crush him in the first half, would you be apologizing?
3/21/2013 9:27 AM
You both did the same thing-he just did it a bit better.
3/21/2013 10:08 AM
Pretty much. But I wasn't 100% sure that the testing drew from current gameplans no matter how new.   Now I know for sure.  And am not sure its in our best interest. I could be wrong however.
3/21/2013 10:23 AM
It's not in the best interest-to be able to test vs a team you will be playing.
It wouldn't bother me during recruiting when teams can make unseen adjustments when the season starts.
But not once a season starts.
3/21/2013 11:04 AM
The test game functionality is necessary to give the broadest testing in beta.  I'm not concerned about fairness in playing beta as much as being able to get everything tested.  Beta isn't about you winning an NC but testing the game.  Either way, this is why the test game page AS-IS would never be pushed out live.
3/21/2013 11:26 AM
Maybe you should clarify if it will be around in the real worlds then.
3/21/2013 11:28 AM
Should of....i meant to say
3/21/2013 12:05 PM
Posted by norbert on 3/21/2013 11:04:00 AM (view original):
The test game functionality is necessary to give the broadest testing in beta.  I'm not concerned about fairness in playing beta as much as being able to get everything tested.  Beta isn't about you winning an NC but testing the game.  Either way, this is why the test game page AS-IS would never be pushed out live.
Norbert, I like the feature but - as you indicate - it couldn't be rolled out 'as is' to a non-beta environment.  That said, if something like the test game functionality allowed us to scout our opponent and tendencies, I'd like it.  A lot.
3/21/2013 5:05 PM
Posted by tigerpark135 on 3/21/2013 11:26:00 AM (view original):
Sorry, I thought I had posted that somewhere where I had first mentioned the page and I thought being called "Test Game" would kind of imply that, but it is indeed only going to be around for Beta testing.

There has been some talk of making a version of it to use in the live worlds, but it would be limited options like only being able to play your team against itself.  That could be useful in testing your players and settings, but not give any unfair advantage in discovering what other coaches are doing.

I think the idea of being able to scout your opponent is going to be as it is today - you have to look through their games and see what they are doing.

3/21/2013 5:14 PM
LOL...I love it! I guarantee you GD players are about as competitive as it gets. We're beta testing, it doesn't make one bit of difference who wins, but deep down we all still want that NT...am I right?
3/21/2013 8:24 PM
Posted by norbert on 3/21/2013 5:05:00 PM (view original):
Sorry, I thought I had posted that somewhere where I had first mentioned the page and I thought being called "Test Game" would kind of imply that, but it is indeed only going to be around for Beta testing.

There has been some talk of making a version of it to use in the live worlds, but it would be limited options like only being able to play your team against itself.  That could be useful in testing your players and settings, but not give any unfair advantage in discovering what other coaches are doing.

I think the idea of being able to scout your opponent is going to be as it is today - you have to look through their games and see what they are doing.

I like the idea of keeping it around only to test against your own time. Even more interesting if you tied that in to practice & player growth somehow...
3/21/2013 8:25 PM
Posted by coach_deen on 3/21/2013 5:14:00 PM (view original):
LOL...I love it! I guarantee you GD players are about as competitive as it gets. We're beta testing, it doesn't make one bit of difference who wins, but deep down we all still want that NT...am I right?
Yep. I always want to win, even though I often don't. Hard not to, even for the sake of BETA.
3/21/2013 9:43 PM
Does a one legged duck swim in circles? :)  AND I was prepared for the 2nd half. I kept a little false intel until the minute before simming and then pulled the "switcharoo".  Off to the beta world national championship. 
3/21/2013 9:49 PM
Posted by norbert on 3/21/2013 5:05:00 PM (view original):

can we trade film? ;)
of 2
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > test game function creating espionage

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.