All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Engine Status 3/20 - PLEASE CHECK RUSHING
3/20/2013 3:32 PM
I have a re-work of the rushing plays in the engine and out in beta now.  If you can please check those numbers within games to see if they are falling about where you would expect, that would be helpful.  Receiving (YAC) and scrambles will be affected, but I haven't fully reviewed those yet, so you can provide feedback on them, but keep in mind they are not complete.

Things to check:
  • keep in mind the match ups - some numbers might make sense when you look at the match ups more closely
  • tackles for loss - are these showing up at expected times and about the right mix?
  • long rushes - same thing
  • do formation match ups and settings have the desired effects?
I've tested a mix of teams against other teams, but mostly I can check generated teams that are all rated at one rating, like all rated 50 in everything versus a team that is rated 40 in all ratings.  What I can't do as well as the beta testing is the wide range and mix of teams and ratings and variety of settings that you call can come up with.

Please let me know if you find numbers too high or too low and what exactly sort of match ups you are noticing those results in.
3/20/2013 4:24 PM
I ran 10-15 test games and the rushing felt very, very good. Primarily running out of the shotgun with a converted WR at QB and a converted RB carrying the ball from the WR spot, if the defense played dime or nickel/pass we ran all over them, but when they played any type of rush defense they stopped us, and when they played 4-4 or 4-3/rush they stopped us cold...exactly as they should. Great job so far Norbert!
3/20/2013 4:41 PM (edited)
I have a hard time believing running out of the shotgun would be effective against a nickel. You've got 5 OL to block 4 DL and 2 LB-numbers alone leave a man free to make the tackle. They may get the odd successful run, but 5 blocking 6 (near the line) is not conducive to running success.
Even with the TE, there's a reason teams don't successfully run out of the gun.
3/20/2013 5:23 PM
Posted by hazing on 3/20/2013 4:41:00 PM (view original):
I have a hard time believing running out of the shotgun would be effective against a nickel. You've got 5 OL to block 4 DL and 2 LB-numbers alone leave a man free to make the tackle. They may get the odd successful run, but 5 blocking 6 (near the line) is not conducive to running success.
Thia guy is exactly right. Just cause you're in nickel doesn't mean you shouldn't stop a QB running out of SG.  You should break one run once in a great while with a lot of runs at a minimal gain or for losses.

Not a good game feature.

3/20/2013 5:49 PM
Tried to set my RB Starter in McMurry and unable to save my Fresh RB.
3/20/2013 6:13 PM
It looks like the advantage in rushing against a pass defense is giving a little too much credit to the offense.  You will see similar jumps in rushing yardage in any formation in rush defense versus pass defense.  It also looks like much of this is happening in the short area or just past the line, so I should be able to adjust this to make running out of shotgun not such a huge advantage but still better when rushing against a pass defense versus a rush defense.
3/20/2013 6:14 PM
Posted by iamthetwo__2 on 3/20/2013 5:50:00 PM (view original):
Not sure what that means.  Can you tell me exactly what you are trying?
3/20/2013 7:45 PM
wr screens have been crushed(VERY SHORT PASSING)  I have run 50 test games against my playoff opponent for tonight and could NOT get anything with pass very short.  This coming from the guy who obliterated the alltime receiving records.

At first glance I thought my opponent was that good so i went back and simmed all the teams I had crushed. I lost against all of them with ten tests per team.  

BOTTOM LINE:  You killed YAC. Hense VSh passing is useless now.

I tested the extremes as you asked in Hooper.  I am using Randolph Macon with pretty much a horrible team with the exception of 3 senior very good wr's. 

The reason my guy crushed every wr record in any world ever is not because your settings are off. Its because I found a way to take advantage of exploiting the opponents stamina.

This game is now about taking advantage of mismatches and if you  leave it as is(this recent update); recieving will be a thing of the past and everyone will be rushing for 3 yards a pop again.

Is there a way I can communicate with you privately Norbert?

I would like to go into more detail about how I was able to do what I did with randolph macon in hooper without giving away trade secrets.

http://www.whatifsports.com/gdbeta/PlayerProfile/Stats.aspx?pid=119189

3/20/2013 9:33 PM
I ran some test games and the rushing results seem within reason at first glance. But some RB are still getting extremely high carries and yards. I think some tinkering with the fatigue factor will tone this down. Players, especially those with low stamina, should not still be at 100% at the start of a series in the 4th quarter. This could play a factor in rushing results.
3/21/2013 12:50 AM
My QB in Craven is still rushing for 7 yards a pop.... but he is a stud ;-)  He seems to be able to complete over 50% of his passes now too which is new.

I am running him out of all formations, not just SG.
3/21/2013 5:41 AM (edited)
Posted by norbert on 3/20/2013 6:14:00 PM (view original):

I am trying to set my running backs in the player settings with my freshman T King as one of my starters.  I can get another back to show as a starter, but when I tr;y to set King as a starter it does not work.  I have Pro set as my GP and should be able to set 2 RBs and can only get one set as a starter.  I may be doing something backasswards, but I can't figure out what it is.  I ran several test games, and he is getting the starts, but he isn't showing as a starter in the player settings.

3/21/2013 7:26 AM
My point is IF the defense is in a nickel formation and playing pass.  If that is the case it just makes sense that the LB are in coverage. Now, if the offense is running the TE is blocking and it's 6 blocking 4, giving a huge rushing advantage to the offense. Then you ad in the fact that the defense is playing pass (dropping back) and you're giving the offense even more of an advantage, so yes, this should be very conducive to running success.
Now, let's change the defense. Still in a nickel but playing "heavy run". Neither LB is in coverage (both are playing the run). Now we have 4 DL & 2 LB at the line of scrimmage, being blocked by 5 OL and a TE. 6 on 6, no advantage either way. BUT...you have 5 DB playing "heavy run" with only 4 WR trying to block them...big advantage to the defense.
Now a 3rd scenario. Nickel defense, playing "run". In this case we should have 1 LB playing run and 1 in coverage, which gives the offense an advantage at the line of 6 blocking 5 but should also give the defense and advantage by having 3 or 4 of the DB's playing closer to the line and being blocked by WR's. Nickel/run Vs. Shotgun should be a very "equal" chance of success for the offense, nickel/pass or nickel/heavy pass Vs. shotgun and the offense should have a big advantage.
One more. The way teams completely shut me down in the playoffs was running a 4-3/run against my gun. They had 4 DL and 3 LB all playing the run and I had 5 OL and a TE trying to block them. We got crushed at the line of scrimmage 90% of the time! Only because my QB was a converted WR with very good speed & elusiveness he was able to elude the tackler in a one on one situation about 1 out of every 5 or 6 plays, but not near enough for my offense to be successful.
Bottom line is the way Norbert has it now is very, very realistic. Even though it's not what we're used to in 2.0, in my opinion it's exactly where it should be. If we dummy down the QB ability to run out of the gun simply because he's a QB it would make the game less realistic, which in not a good thing.
3/21/2013 10:58 AM
Posted by tigerpark135 on 3/20/2013 7:45:00 PM (view original):
wr screens have been crushed(VERY SHORT PASSING)  I have run 50 test games against my playoff opponent for tonight and could NOT get anything with pass very short.  This coming from the guy who obliterated the alltime receiving records.

At first glance I thought my opponent was that good so i went back and simmed all the teams I had crushed. I lost against all of them with ten tests per team.  

BOTTOM LINE:  You killed YAC. Hense VSh passing is useless now.

I tested the extremes as you asked in Hooper.  I am using Randolph Macon with pretty much a horrible team with the exception of 3 senior very good wr's. 

The reason my guy crushed every wr record in any world ever is not because your settings are off. Its because I found a way to take advantage of exploiting the opponents stamina.

This game is now about taking advantage of mismatches and if you  leave it as is(this recent update); recieving will be a thing of the past and everyone will be rushing for 3 yards a pop again.

Is there a way I can communicate with you privately Norbert?

I would like to go into more detail about how I was able to do what I did with randolph macon in hooper without giving away trade secrets.

http://www.whatifsports.com/gdbeta/PlayerProfile/Stats.aspx?pid=119189

I will be working on YAC after I work on passing, so don't be too concerned about YAC right now.  I'm really more looking at pure rushing plays right now.
3/21/2013 11:00 AM
Posted by iamthetwo__2 on 3/21/2013 5:41:00 AM (view original):
Posted by norbert on 3/20/2013 6:14:00 PM (view original):

I am trying to set my running backs in the player settings with my freshman T King as one of my starters.  I can get another back to show as a starter, but when I tr;y to set King as a starter it does not work.  I have Pro set as my GP and should be able to set 2 RBs and can only get one set as a starter.  I may be doing something backasswards, but I can't figure out what it is.  I ran several test games, and he is getting the starts, but he isn't showing as a starter in the player settings.

You can only have 5 of RBs, WRs, and TEs marked as starters, so please check that you are not already at that limit.  Essentially you can have 1 QB, 5 OL, and 5 everyone else marked as offensive starters.
3/21/2013 3:04 PM
Here's my starters for offense--
QB Bobby Lewis
WR Jason Williams
WR Peter Meyer
TE Jason Mitchell
OL Anthony Stewart
OL Charles Clark
OL Howard Gentry
OL Steven Sanders
OL Willie Owens

As you can see there is no RB and I still can't save King as a starter.
of 3
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Engine Status 3/20 - PLEASE CHECK RUSHING

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.