3/19/2013 12:50 AM
Take a look at the leading rushers in the Argento world. Top 4 were QB, two were converted RB with GI and tech about 5. May want to re-evaluate what factors those attributes contribute to rushing numbers.
3/19/2013 7:25 AM
Why? I keep saying this, but if you convert a RB to QB and run the ball out of the shotgun, and defenses continue to play nickel or dime/pass against you, the offense should pick up tons of yards...and they are! Once again, if the defenses would play a 4-3/4-4 or even a nickel/heavy run with the right personnel, it would stop these teams...which is exactly what happened to me in the CC and playoffs, once I was playing against coaches that were actually game planning for me...
3/19/2013 10:28 AM
I will be putting out a new engine soon with rushing adjusted.  We'll have to keep an eye on rushing out of the shotgun.  It has several things going against it, as mentioned - defense is typically going to call a pass defense against the shotgun and are typically not going to have the personnel at the line if they are calling for a Nickel or Dime.  The question is what do we do about that?  If you do make the right call, then you can actually stop that running, as coach_deen pointed out. Is that enough or do we need to do something for QB rushing?

I don't want everyone using all-shotgun 80% of the time.  But I guess the question is if you do set up a Nickel or Dime defense and call for a pass defense, how well should the QB be able to rush?  Part of this is an issue with the STR rating in that it is used for both passing STR and running STR.  I can adjust for QBs but then I'm not sure if that limits the use of legitimate rushing QBs.

I am currently finishing up the rushing adjustments I was making and one of the components I have in the play to work with is the player's momentum.  A player with lowered momentum is easier to tackle and less likely to be able to avoid the tackle, so I might be able to fiddle with that a bit that will help with this issue.

3/19/2013 11:12 AM
Posted by coach_deen on 3/19/2013 7:25:00 AM (view original):
Why? I keep saying this, but if you convert a RB to QB and run the ball out of the shotgun, and defenses continue to play nickel or dime/pass against you, the offense should pick up tons of yards...and they are! Once again, if the defenses would play a 4-3/4-4 or even a nickel/heavy run with the right personnel, it would stop these teams...which is exactly what happened to me in the CC and playoffs, once I was playing against coaches that were actually game planning for me...
I'm not nessarily against it, and would game plan for it if I saw it, but those QB's with GI and tech of below 10 should have some downside. I mean GI and tech (which as Norbert explained is the level of consistencey) below 10 for a clone generated human would almost make it impossible for him to find a hole in the line and they would most likely trip on their own feet. I could see the game giving that type of player some long gains once in a while, but getting tackled for a loss many times over (how about PBP of "tripped or slipped and downed for a loss"). AND they definitely would never be able to complete a pass. But gaining over 5000 yds in a season with those attributes, that would just be gaming the game. Normal QB attributes, with a running game plan - by all means - that is a possibility. I converted RB to QB in GD 1 and at first with their low GI and tech attributes, they went nowhere.
3/19/2013 1:39 PM
I understand what you're saying katz, but I just don't see how/why GO or Tech should have a big influence on running the ball. Throwing the ball, YES, but not running the ball. I mean if a player is in this game he is good enough to play college football, right? Regardless of his ratings he wouldn't be tripping over his own feet or incapable of seeing a hole in the line, especially if he is a converted RB!
3/19/2013 3:00 PM
What I do like in 3.0 is that defensive adjustment can offset this. I've tested the results of QB all run from shotgun vs dime vs nickel vs 4-4, and the results are what you would expect. Against an all pass nickel defense, my QBs ran for an average of 400+ yards. Against an all-run 4-4 defense, the Qbs ran for an average of around 100 yards with a 1.5 yard average. I don't think a converted RB with GI and Tech < 10 will work in an all-run shotgun, because at first test it appears a stacked run defense can completely shut the qb run down.
3/19/2013 6:43 PM (edited)
Agree with the above posters.  Stacked run defense will shut down the all run Qb out of shotgun.  The issue is gameplanning, and some of these QBs are playing against spread out pass defenses and racking up huge numbers.  However, when they run into a defense that game planned, they are far less effective.  I ran into one late in the season, and at first glance, I was totally intimidated by the season numbers and the all out shotgun run assault.  After changing my defensive settings around to play the run in shotgun, the QB was ineffective.  I think that shows the settings are closer to working as intended than it might appear when looking at these inflated stats.  Overall, it does seem that QB rushing is somewhat high across the board though (all formations).       
3/21/2013 12:56 AM
I believe a QB with high Speed and Elusiveness should be able to run against Nickle and Dime in pass def, but the problem is that some QB's with less than stellar scores seem to be having some success.  If you are Tom Brady it doesn't mater what the defence is set up to do, you aint running for 200 yards in a game.

60% skills 30% play calling  10% random

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.