All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Encouraging results - impact of proper defense
3/5/2013 9:52 PM (edited)
It appears as though calling the proper defensive formation is starting to have the expected impact. I've been testing this through sample games, but the first two games of my Craven season are indicative of what my testing has shown - guessing wrong against the offenses is much more impactful than in 2.0. 

Game 1 - ran a standard defensive gameplan in the first half, 5-2 balanced on 1st down and on 2nd/3rd on medium/short, nickel on 2nd / 3rd and long. My opponent was set to basically all run, including trips. Here are the RB stats:

Player Pos Rush Yds Avg TD 20+ St
Alan Freeman RB 33 152 4.6 1 0 6
Robert Collins RB 3 1 0.3 0 0 1

2nd half, I shifted the game plan to all run and 5-2 in every formation / down / distance. THe RB performance dropped off significantly:

Alan Freeman RB 28 82     2.9 0 0 9
Robert Collins RB 7 18     2.6 0 0 2

Game 2 - kept the all run defense from the 2nd half of game 1, 5-2 vs. most formations / down distance, and the opponent RBs were shut down:

Christopher Hargrove RB 10 25 2.5 0 0 3
Gilbert Johnson RB 6 11 1.8 0 0 3
Paul Parrish RB 1 16 16 0 0 0

2nd half, I shifted to dime / all pass against ND Box, just to see if, as we see in 2.0, a coach who forgets and leaves a passing defense against an all run team can see success. The answer is a resounding no, not just in this game but in overall tests.

Christopher Hargrove RB 12 144   12.0 1 2 2
Gilbert Johnson RB 9 85     9.4 0 1 1

Small samples, but it has shown up for me in testing. It's no longer a set and forget game, and the importance of gameplanning may have been resurrected.
3/5/2013 10:17 PM
I agree.  I can see much more cause-and-effect in gameplanning.  
3/6/2013 7:26 AM
The only thing I don't like about that is that, as someone else posted earlier, in real life if a team is rushing the QB out of shotgun every play the defense will adjust in real time.  Here we only have one opportunity to adjust settings and even then the other coach can do the old switcher-oo.

My suggestion would be to limit the effectiveness of the non-intuitive gimmic offenses if possible.  That is limit the effectiveness of a wishbone passing scheme, even if the defense is all-rush, or limit the effectiveness of a shotgun rushing plan even if the defense is all pass.

Nobody wants this to turn into a heads or tails game based on guessing the right defense for a gimmic offense.
3/6/2013 11:25 AM
Maybe make the defense vs offense call only for the set-up of each play. In real life, before the snap the defense is just guessing what is going to happen, but then they adapt when they see if it is a pass or run. In the GD world, make that the same - for the first two levels of game decisions (at the line) the O pass vs D rush (or O rush vs D pass) has an advantage, but after that not so much.
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Encouraging results - impact of proper defense

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.