3/5/2013 8:22 PM
My TE has not gotten a single pass thrown his way. I'm using a Pro-Stlye offense so maybe that has something to do with it. Although I checked about 12 other games and only one had a TE catch a pass...
3/5/2013 8:52 PM
If he is set to be a blocker, he won't even get thrown to.
3/6/2013 10:35 PM
I made sure there was no TE in the blocking column, only possession and TE1. Also modified my formation to use a TEPos still no catchy catchy. Is there another place I should ensure they are not blocking?

3/7/2013 3:34 PM

In the formation settings, make sure the blocking box isn't checked.

3/7/2013 5:11 PM
Posted by eddy02 on 3/6/2013 10:35:00 PM (view original):
I made sure there was no TE in the blocking column, only possession and TE1. Also modified my formation to use a TEPos still no catchy catchy. Is there another place I should ensure they are not blocking?

Make sure that the In/Out box isn't checked. If it is, your TE stays back to block and will not be thrown to.
3/8/2013 1:23 AM
Sweet. Thanks for helping out.
3/18/2013 4:04 PM (edited)
Why, then, can you still set percentages for targeting the TE as a receiver when the blocking checkbox is checked? I created an I-formation set with the TE checked as a blocker, but to be targeted 10% each for Vs, Sht, and Med. I ran about 15 test games and he still had zero targets. I get that if he's in blocking he can't be a receiver, but shouldn't those distribution boxes be locked, then? I had to reduce my other targets' distribution accordingly to account for the TE distro.
3/18/2013 3:58 PM
He may be targeted after the blocking breaks down. Blocking may not be set for the entire play. Good Norbert question though.
3/18/2013 4:05 PM
Posted by 0bigzeke0 on 3/18/2013 3:58:00 PM (view original):
He may be targeted after the blocking breaks down. Blocking may not be set for the entire play. Good Norbert question though.
I edited my earlier post. He had ZERO targets when set to block but with distribution numbers. I guess the question is, can he be targeted and I just didn't get any, in 15 games? Or should those boxes be suppressed if the blocking checkbox is selected.
3/18/2013 7:14 PM
Posted by TundraToes on 3/18/2013 4:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by 0bigzeke0 on 3/18/2013 3:58:00 PM (view original):
I edited my earlier post. He had ZERO targets when set to block but with distribution numbers. I guess the question is, can he be targeted and I just didn't get any, in 15 games? Or should those boxes be suppressed if the blocking checkbox is selected.
If the blocking box is checked, your TE will not be the target of any passes, even if there are distribution numbers (he stays in the block the whole time)
3/18/2013 7:32 PM
When people first reported the TE not getting any throws, I tinkered with it. I found you have to make sure you dial down the numbers for the WR's in the Offense Formations, and then make sure the adjustments match the offensive playbooks.
3/18/2013 8:19 PM
Posted by hazing on 3/18/2013 7:32:00 PM (view original):
When people first reported the TE not getting any throws, I tinkered with it. I found you have to make sure you dial down the numbers for the WR's in the Offense Formations, and then make sure the adjustments match the offensive playbooks.
Not sure I follow. Are saying that if the blocking box is checked for TE, you can still get him passes if you reduce the numbers for the WR down far enough? So if I set the TE to block and set him at 50% and the WR and RB accordingly, would he get some balls his way?
3/18/2013 10:07 PM
Posted by TundraToes on 3/18/2013 8:19:00 PM (view original):
Not sure I follow. Are saying that if the blocking box is checked for TE, you can still get him passes if you reduce the numbers for the WR down far enough? So if I set the TE to block and set him at 50% and the WR and RB accordingly, would he get some balls his way?

If you set him to block, he will block. He will NOT go out for a pass.

All the default Offense formations have the TE to block. So if that is what you are using, the TE will not get any passes thrown at them.

Now if your creating your own formations, the WR is usually set much higher than the TE, so (if I understand it correct) that means there would be a much greater chance the ball will go to the WR. Then, you have to look at the offensive playbook and make sure that the numbers match with the formations (for example: short routes in formations matching with short passing game in the playbook).

So if you want to pass to the TE, you do NOT have the box checked in the Offense Formations. In the Offense Formations, you increase the TE passing numbers and/or reduce the WR passing numbers (for Passing:Vsh, Sh, Med, Lng, Dp). Then in the Offense Playbook, you adjust the Pass: Vsh, Sh, Med, Lng, Dp to where the TE is running his routes based on the Formation. You should then see the TE making receptions.

But the box CANNOT be checked for the TE (blocking) in the Offensive Formations if you want the player to make receptions.

3/18/2013 10:52 PM
Posted by hazing on 3/18/2013 10:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by TundraToes on 3/18/2013 8:19:00 PM (view original):

If you set him to block, he will block. He will NOT go out for a pass.

All the default Offense formations have the TE to block. So if that is what you are using, the TE will not get any passes thrown at them.

Now if your creating your own formations, the WR is usually set much higher than the TE, so (if I understand it correct) that means there would be a much greater chance the ball will go to the WR. Then, you have to look at the offensive playbook and make sure that the numbers match with the formations (for example: short routes in formations matching with short passing game in the playbook).

So if you want to pass to the TE, you do NOT have the box checked in the Offense Formations. In the Offense Formations, you increase the TE passing numbers and/or reduce the WR passing numbers (for Passing:Vsh, Sh, Med, Lng, Dp). Then in the Offense Playbook, you adjust the Pass: Vsh, Sh, Med, Lng, Dp to where the TE is running his routes based on the Formation. You should then see the TE making receptions.

But the box CANNOT be checked for the TE (blocking) in the Offensive Formations if you want the player to make receptions.

That's what I thought. And given that, the percentage distribution boxes for the TE should be suppressed when the blocking box is checked. Without that, it makes it seem like he can block and also catch.
3/19/2013 10:51 AM
We've been working on adding some javascript to the playbook pages to help with the input of settings and we will be looking at the formation settings as well.  It might make sense to enable/disable the distributions when you set to block or not block.  We have changed the default formation settings to 0 out the distributions when they are initially set to block, so that should help a little.  But the blocking setting is one of the more confusing things and it's possible we could expand those options in the future - like a player blocking until he determines he isn't needed and then going out for a pass, but first steps first.

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.