3/5/2013 10:38 AM
For defensive starters, there will still be a problem with them until the next update.

As for starters in general, we will be adding more to the several pages to help with setting up the starters and setting them in depth charts.  Keep in mind that if you use the Advanced position roles/depth charts, you are buying in to requiring a little more understanding of how the starters and depth charts interact.  If you are using the Basic depth charts, then it will be a little more one-to-one since you have one depth chart per position.  We will work on making that more clear with help and FAQ articles.

For setting starters, these are things I am looking at getting in:
  • show empty slots in the starters list on the right-hand side to show you which starters you have yet to set
  • identify starters in the player list on the depth chart page
  • show alert in Reminders on office page if you have open starter slots
  • place line to player settings page on depth chart identifying it as where to set starters
I think there might still be some disconnect between how starters work in 3.0 and how they worked in 2.0, so let me ask some questions.  in 2.0, starters were driven by the Base Offense you set in whatever playbook you had set to your Main game plan.  How did you guys work with identifying which of your players would be starters?  It was possible in 2.0 that a player could be marked as a starter and not actually get in the game, but usually this was a disconnect between the plays in your playbook and the formation you had set for Base Offense.  In 3.0, my goal was that you are essentially identifying the formation you are using based on which players you have selected as starters (e.g. you want Trips, set QB, 5 OL, 1 RB, 1 TE and 3 WR).  If you are using Basic depth charts, you pretty much just have to put your starters at the top of their relevant depth charts, OL, WR, so on.  If you are using Advanced settings, then it gets a bit trickier.  Since you can have multiple depth charts in multiple formations and can use difference formations in your playbooks, it's much more difficult to tell where to place your starters to get them in the game.  But remember that they just need to get in during the first half to get credit for the start.

So one thing I'd like to look at is what kind of information can we provide to help with identifying which players are most likely to get on the field.  If you have any suggestions, let me know.

3/5/2013 12:56 PM
Well, I set my freshman recruit as a starter in the player settings and I have him on every role depth chart for defensive line except the 4-4 defense which is on only in certain situations.  However, my recruit is not only not being named the starter, he's not even getting into the real games AT ALL... and yes, this includes ALL of the advanced roles.  Somehow, he makes it fine into my test games however...
3/5/2013 1:34 PM
Posted by justinlee_24 on 3/5/2013 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Well, I set my freshman recruit as a starter in the player settings and I have him on every role depth chart for defensive line except the 4-4 defense which is on only in certain situations.  However, my recruit is not only not being named the starter, he's not even getting into the real games AT ALL... and yes, this includes ALL of the advanced roles.  Somehow, he makes it fine into my test games however...
This is because of the defensive depth chart bug.  It will be corrected in the next update.
3/5/2013 4:29 PM
Well, thanks for this, Norbert:

I really like Rhodes, but it was your word that I would start that got me on campus. When am I going to get the starting spot that you promised me?

Worst of all, I can't do anything about this! 

In all seriousness, I know you're really busy Norbert, but I'd rather not lose a recruit or suffer a massive work ethic loss because of a bug. 

of 2

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.