All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > I am clearly doing something wrong.
2/25/2013 2:47 AM
And I have no idea what it is. My passing game is pathetic. It seems as if a lot of teams are struggling to put up big numbers through the air, but my numbers are especially terrible. My QB isn't that bad, the game rates him a 46 which is quite a bit better than most QBs. My starting offensive line is even better, rated at 57.2, which makes them the strength of the team and I believe better than any team I've ever tested against. The rest of the team is at least average.

I struggle just to get a pass off. Reading the PBP for my games gets pretty redundant just seeing "Quarterback drops back to pass. The defense is starting to get pressure. The defense has heavy pressure..." and then if he doesn't get sacked (which he does A LOT) then it's always "throws the ball away to avoid the sack" or "rolls out of the pocket to avoid the sack" or he scrambles. I sometimes go entire quarters without even getting a pass off. The teams I'm playing against seem to surrender a reasonable number of sacks.. 3, 4, maybe 5. My quarterback gets sacked around 8 times a game and often times more. I'm lucky if at the end of a game I have more completed passes than I do sacks given up. Add in the fact that my guy is throwing about 3 interceptions for every touchdown he tosses and it makes for some pretty ugly offensive statistics.

I can't figure it out. The gameplans that I'm using are fairly conservative when it comes to the passing game. I have a lot more very short and short attempts than I do long and deep, so that can't be the problem. I'm hoping maybe one of the developers can maybe give me an idea of what the problem may be so that I can make some adjustments or something. It's getting a bit ridiculous. At this point it's looking like I may take a team that should probably be contending for a playoff spot, and struggle to win 5 games.

Apologies for the rant.
2/25/2013 7:53 AM
Similar problem here with passing and can't get the running game off the ground either.  Out of every 10 games, I might get one 200 yard game out of my QB, yet he'll rush 8 times for 90 yards (setting is for him to rush 0), so he's obviously scrambling.  I've tried all pass, very short, short, medium, long, deep in every formation.  My QB isn't completely terrible at a 43 rating and O line in the 50's, but I've tried both all run and all pass and balance with different pass aggression and blocking schemes and I'm pretty much getting owned in the test games.  I've been hearing people say the running stats were way too high...  Not sure what you guys are doing, but I'd certainly like to know what to try.  I've tried inside running, outside running, switching up my backs (granted, they're not all that great, but this is D-III so they're not necessarily playing against great d's either).  Been trying not to jump around too much and just test one group of things, but when I can't get anything working, I end up going back to the drawing board, which doesn't seem to help either.
Sacks are what seem way up to me.  My qb isn't getting sacked all that much, but my defense (set from 5 to 15% blitz with probably an average of 10% or less) is getting almost 10 sacks a game.  That seems high for 10% 
2/25/2013 10:01 AM
I am going to be working on passing plays this week.  We've adjusted rushing plays last week which cut down some of the excessive rushing we were seeing.  This part of the beta is all about adjusting the engine for the results, so the current results we are seeing are not expected to be where the engine will end up.

The one part I do want to discuss further and get some input is on the PBP.  There is a balance between being able to determine what is going on in the play and being entertaining and it's definitely falling more on the side of telling what is happening.  We can probably make it more entertaining by having more phrases, but then you have to decipher more phrases to realize what happened on the play.  Any suggestions on what you would like to see to be less redundant but still tell what happened?

2/25/2013 2:58 PM
I personally do not mind the PBP the way it is now. It isn't really an issue with me. When I referred to it as redundant I was only meaning to point out that my opponent pressures my QB on every single play.

Others may have a problem with the play by play, I don't know. That isn't really something I care about.
2/25/2013 4:22 PM
I like the pbp as is, personally.

2/26/2013 8:10 AM
Once the Yatzr game analyzer is running, I'd never look at the PBP anyway, so it wouldn't matter at all for me down the road, but for beta testing, I personally wish there wasn't the "entertainment" stuff to sort through.  It's a pain to find the results nestled in there with all the fluff.
2/26/2013 8:51 AM
Granted, the talent of the existing rosters is relatively uneven, but it seems like a high majority of the completed passes are dump offs, and a very low percentage of longer passes are completed. Now my team sucks, so it's probably not a great example, but in my 3 exhibitions, five of the six team average completions have been below 7 YPP. I'm using the default distance distribution, but even with that, everything seems to be a dump off.
2/26/2013 9:13 AM
I tweaked my settings to eliminate the very short passes.  They never seemed to go for more than a yard anyway. 
2/26/2013 2:10 PM (edited)
I am only over 50% completion in about half of my games, and i am passing pretty conservatively with a QB with a 52 rating. Game Instinct of 71, so I would hope for more.  He is running for over 100 yards per game with is fun, but probably not overly realistic. WR's are all 49 or higher.  OL is definitley my weakness. 
2/26/2013 5:03 PM
i don't like the fact that the PBP tells you exactly what is happening including what type of offense or defense that you are running.  For example.  I created pass and run set up for each of the defensive formations.  I would prefer if my opponent had to decipher whether they were going against run or pass rather than me stating it.  I know i could get clever and just change the naming convection but if that could just be left off then I would ensure I didn't confuse myself.  So just 3-4 would suffice as opposed to 3-4 Run being shown in the PBP.  I want to keep a little mystery in it for the opponent to figure out rather than just trying to out guess the opposing coach each game.
2/27/2013 2:03 AM
Posted by tkechub on 2/26/2013 5:03:00 PM (view original):
i don't like the fact that the PBP tells you exactly what is happening including what type of offense or defense that you are running.  For example.  I created pass and run set up for each of the defensive formations.  I would prefer if my opponent had to decipher whether they were going against run or pass rather than me stating it.  I know i could get clever and just change the naming convection but if that could just be left off then I would ensure I didn't confuse myself.  So just 3-4 would suffice as opposed to 3-4 Run being shown in the PBP.  I want to keep a little mystery in it for the opponent to figure out rather than just trying to out guess the opposing coach each game.
the PBP only displays the name of the formation (i.e. 3-4 run) in test game simulations - the PBP displays only the formation type in actual games.
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > I am clearly doing something wrong.

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.