2/16/2013 9:07 PM
It seems like we have too many plays per game.

I looked at a bunch of real games and had the number of rushes and passes for both teams fall in the range of 135-155 plays when added together.

I then simulated several d3 vs d3 games and had the number of plays (total passes and total rushes added together) be around 180.

This did not look at punts/FGs, Kickoffs, etc ... just total passes and rushes by both teams.
2/16/2013 9:41 PM
180 is about whats happening, way too many plays.
2/16/2013 10:24 PM (edited)
Looking at CFB Stats, the average number of rush attempts per team (per game) for Div-1 is:   38.48 and the average number of Pass Attempts is 32.54

If you add those together, it is 71.02 per team per game ... and that is 142 total per game for an average.

CFB stats also has Long Rushing Plays, Long Passing Plays .. from that you can get the number of 10+, 20+, 30+ ... 90+ yards from scrimmage for passes and rushes per team.  With that we should be able to get a average target, min target and max target for certain gains.

2/16/2013 10:32 PM
The timing is way off. First downs and dropped passes all run at about 5 sec.
2/17/2013 12:23 AM
I think the issue is that the old timing rules before 2008(?) stopped the clock for every out of bounds play and every incomplete pass ... now that only happens inside 2 minutes.

On out of bounds plays and on dropped passes outside of 2:00 minutes, the clock starts when the ball is ready for play on those (out of bounds and incomplete passes).

There is now a 40 second clock and not a 25 second clock ... well, if the ball is not marked by 20 seconds, they set the play clock back 25.

But yes, overall, outside of 2 minutes there needs to be about 30 seconds per play ... with some percentage of adjustment.  Right now it is more like 20 seconds per play
2/17/2013 11:16 AM

Even with a low third down conversion rate the number of plays is too high.

2/19/2013 1:12 PM
I did have the first downs stopping the clock instead of using the 25-second clock.  That will be changed in the next beta update which I think should be tomorrow.

Incomplete passes do stop the clock even outside the 2-minutes at the end of the half, and I still have to work out of bounds plays into the engine, so those are not the problem.  We'll see how the 1st down changes affect the number of plays and then if it's still an issue, we will look at the timing of the plays.

2/20/2013 12:21 PM
The following link should be helpful. It gives us the average number of plays ran per game broken down by team. It looks to me like the running teams, like Auburn, avg. about 60 plays per game, and the passing teams, like Texas Tech, Houston, etc. can avg. as many as 90+ plays! So if Marshall (avg. 92) played Rice (avg. 81) we would get around 170 plays. Since GD coaches probably pass more on avg. than RL coaches, I can actually see some games in the 180 range, but not a high % of games. Anyway, this should give us something to go by...

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/plays-per-game
2/20/2013 10:57 PM
This issue seems to be much improved now ... most games that I simulated tonight seem to be around 140 plays.

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.