11/29/2012 10:45 PM
We're nearing the end of Fall... the theoretical target of the update.  Where do we stand?
12/5/2012 12:11 PM

Best guess... We're not standing.  We're not even sitting yet. 
12/5/2012 2:47 PM
Certainly haven't heard anything lately...
12/5/2012 7:11 PM
at least tickets have been getting answered a little more frequently in the last week - someone is still there!  

whether any strides have been made for the update, who knows.  

my guess is after reading everything here and everybody's ideas, they realized they were no where near what we wanted and had to start from scratch
12/6/2012 9:57 AM

In my day job, I run the eCommerce site for a $6b company.

I've worked as a developer, business analyst, QA tester, and Project manager.  So I'm speaking with some experience.

When you do a project like this (redesigning a web site), one of your first steps should be to talk to your end users.  Find out what they want.   Don't assume that you know this.  Then you try to work in what they want with the upgrades you need, and decide what is feasible, given the budget and time constraints that you are undoubtably working under.  Then you build the screens, write the requirements, etc.  I'm old school: IMO functionality comes before the user experience/layout of the site, although user experience architects disagree with me.

From here, it looks like they got some user experience people to mock up some screens, without worrying about what functions those screens really represent.  And they didn't talk to their user base until AFTER they had screens designed. 

Oh well.  Rework happens.

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
12/6/2012 2:19 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 12/6/2012 10:46:00 AM (view original):
The biggest failing here, in my opinion, is the almost total lack of communication from WIS over the past two years. 
Well, that and the fact that their one communication (the redesign) has thus far proven to be full of worthless promises... until we hear differently.
12/6/2012 9:15 PM
The biggest failing here, in my opinion, is the almost total lack of communication from WIS over the past two years. 

This seems to be the trend since Fox bought WiS. Oh how I miss the days of getting togther at a bar in Cincy and talking shop with the actual developers.

12/9/2012 10:57 PM
Posted by crazyjoe02 on 12/6/2012 9:15:00 PM (view original):

This seems to be the trend since Fox bought WiS. Oh how I miss the days of getting togther at a bar in Cincy and talking shop with the actual developers.

I never saw the logic of buying a perfectly viable online business and then running it into the ground through neglect.  Is there some other Fox product the SIM is competing against?
12/12/2012 11:28 AM
Posted by eastvanmungo on 12/9/2012 10:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by crazyjoe02 on 12/6/2012 9:15:00 PM (view original):

I never saw the logic of buying a perfectly viable online business and then running it into the ground through neglect.  Is there some other Fox product the SIM is competing against?
Nope. Even with it's lack of devopment lately I have yet to come across a site even remotely comparable to What If Sports.
12/17/2012 1:21 AM (edited)
7/5/2010 4:23 PM

tzentmeyer
Site Staff
MLB - 53 NBA - 1 NFL - 2 HD - 14 GD - 12 HBD - 46 CRD - 5
Add this user to favorites

Two items in this thread:

OF Arms -- With the next SLB update (extensive UI redesign that will put us in great position to add more features down the road with a wider format and much cleaner framework), we'll be adding OF position for each player now that we have some more data tied to LF/CF/RF rather than just OF. Adding OF arm ratings will be a natural progression after that.

SB Attempts -- there is a hard cutoff that adjusts based on user setting.I personally don't like it this way, but we received too many complaints when players would end the season going 4/12 or 6/16.  We can always go back the other way -- it's more realistic that way but folks just don't like seeing average runners get thrown out.

7/6/2010 6:03 AM

coled
Game Rating: Hall of Famer Forum Rating: Rookie
MLB - 674 NBA - 16 HD - 2 GD - 4 HBD - 1

Thanks tzent, but I would rather have a guy that went 12 for 12 in real life and set at 4 not have zero attempts for a whole season in WIS.  Plus if guys have a poor percentage in real life we should have them down for a 1 or 2 setting anyway.

12/14/2012 5:02 PM

tzentmeyer
Site Staff
MLB - 53 NBA - 1 NFL - 2 HD - 14 GD - 12 HBD - 46 CRD - 5

Old thread -- wanted to let you guys know the SB part of this discussion has been addressed and will be part of next engine update coming very soon.

12/16/2012 3:19 PM

aspenhawk
Game Rating: Prospect Forum Rating: Prospect
NHL - 2

Posted by grayfoxx on 7/4/2010 10:01:00 AM (view original):
         Getting back to OF arms---------games like Strat-o-matic and APBA incorporate throwing arms
         (and pretty accurately as I recall), so the resources are out there somewhere.

This is interesting, that the "client-base" here recalls games, such as mentioned above...

There was a simplicity in Strat-0-Matic, that wasn't attainable w/ APBA... All of that stuff of
legends (among our peers, & within our mind's images) & who was the best "whatever"
was always an issue... Strat-0-Matic was user friendly simply because they gave lots of
attention to their "client-base"... They paid attention to Roberto Clemente's arm, because
everyone else around them ALSO revered that right-fielder... The same can be said about
a similar defenseman in the WiS NHL database, named Doug Harvey... Back then, when
Strat-O-Matic originated, there was no hockey among their products initially, but that still
did not stop anyone from declaring that Doug Harvey was the greatest at that time...

Point is, despite capturing all the awesomely complicated nuances of legendary players,
in any sport, ---these games here are still somewhat a proving ground that some aspect
of legendary performance can be accomplished, in a simulated place, much like & in the
same manner with which our (the "client-base") mind's also work...

Strat-0-Matic did all of this relying on the simple mathematics of all possible combinations
of what happens when you roll 3 'six-sided' dice... 1st off, ---the dynamics of 2 simple dice,
produce 36 combinations... Although each number stands alone randomly, the number '7'
has the highest frequency of appearing in each roll... However, once U add that 3rd dice, it
increases to 648 combinations of ways to hit a number...  

Relating this to the simplicity of complex legendary performances, wherein we all EXPECT
to come to this place, knowing that Babe Ruth hits homeruns like no one else, & ---Roberto
Clemente's arm is as legendary as Ruth's bat, but somehow the numbers generated by all
modern computers these days, ---well, am for sure convinced if you can't make Clemente's
arm as good as "legend" & the "client-base" deem it should be, then keep trying other math
applications, until you get it right... The goal is to make Clemente's arm the best arm here...

Lastly, ---Strat-0-Matic's rating system was simple... According to their 'charts', an attempt
to steal was (of course) the manger's choice... Their game evolved in the early 70's, & you
did not run on Johnny Bench, or Clemente... The odds of the dice didn't favor success, & it
was meant to deter the attempt... The 'king' arm-of-the-gods was minus-five (-5) which had
already been attached to previous seasons of Clemente... The Strat-0-Matic card that came
out after Clemente died, ---epitomized what he would be remembered most for (his deadly
accurate cannon-like arm), & changed the highest arm-rating to a minus-six (-6)... Recall a
a bunch of those games w/ my peers, & guys like Dave Winfield & Barry's dad, Bobby, were
also feared arms with (-4) ratings, but, ---nothing compared to the confidence of a Roberto
Clemente there in right-field...

The minus number of the arm was simply subtracted from a runner's rating... Strat-0-Matic
also invented a twenty-sided dice piece... On a scale of 1-20, the best that Lou Brock or any
other runner could achieve, was a rating of 1-17 (85%) as a success rate on the next roll, if
you decide to steal, or take the extra base, on a single... Against Clemente's (-6) arm though,
that Brock is now down to a 1-11 (55%) success, & 9 other numbers in your next roll will get
him thrown out... That particular season also had Reggie Jackson's highest arm rating, at a
(-4), but now the odds are more favorable, as Lou Brock would advance, 2 out of 3 times...

Here's the side note to dwell upon... Say the SIM-world is perfect, & -magically, Fred Lynn has
stolen 10 bases in 13 attempts, after 160 games, everytime, ---just because there are MORE
Clemente's being used, instead of Canseco's... The success of 12 SB's in 12 attempts, often
can be remedied by something we called "Stolen-Base-Attempts-In-Reserve"... Rounding off
a few numbers, the overall regular season is 6 months long, meaning that Fred Lynn tries to
steal a base, twice-a-month... September is more intense than June... Let's give him a stolen
base attempt every 12 games... He can steal one now, or you can save those attempts, to use
in September... Yes, & great if he has stolen 1 base in May, and 1 in July... But, the situation is
bound to arise... You may need him to take advantage of "classic" mid-September SB stealing
opportunities, twice in his next 7 games... His stats that year, show 5 of those stolen bases, in
September... The SIM here won't allow abuse with over-running strategies...

It's like the NBA's 3-point offense, playing catch-up with a few minutes to go... If a player like
Elton Brand makes 1 (Hail Mary!) '3-point' basket in his career, the computer logs him in as
a 1,000% shooter... The SIM here then allowed him to score more than 50 points in the last
5 minutes of the game, on something like 13 out of 13 shooting 30 footers... Whatta' glitch...

Whether yourself, or Sparky, am looking forward to ANY changes in the new update to show
a tendency to preserve the top-quality of those legendary players, above all others, 4-sure...

12/20/2012 8:27 PM
I was a huge SoM fan also.  I have been upset about 2 main things on here.  SB and BBs.  I'll leave BBs for later.  My problem w/ the SB logic is that if a great basestealer (for a given season40 SB and 80% success) is not held on, unless you have Pudge and a pitchout, there is probably no way the guy should be out.  I have seen multiple times where a C+ arm threw someone out who wasnt held.  Lets consider.  If a runner isnt held on, he gets AT least 2 more steps.  If he stole 40 bases while being held on w/ a high success rate, when you dont hold him on, it should be near automatic.....not because of the principle but the fact that two additional steps and an average arm................
12/21/2012 12:05 PM
Posted by The_Creeper on 12/20/2012 8:27:00 PM (view original):
I was a huge SoM fan also.  I have been upset about 2 main things on here.  SB and BBs.  I'll leave BBs for later.  My problem w/ the SB logic is that if a great basestealer (for a given season40 SB and 80% success) is not held on, unless you have Pudge and a pitchout, there is probably no way the guy should be out.  I have seen multiple times where a C+ arm threw someone out who wasnt held.  Lets consider.  If a runner isnt held on, he gets AT least 2 more steps.  If he stole 40 bases while being held on w/ a high success rate, when you dont hold him on, it should be near automatic.....not because of the principle but the fact that two additional steps and an average arm................
The solution to that, frankly, is to remove the HOLD from LIVE. The hold should more or less be an automatic thing... and all stats in the DB account for whether the hold is on or not already, because it was (or was not) in real life... I think it's a setting that simply adds unnecessary complexity...

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.