Help for beginners 2014 Topic

Here are some open league drafting tips, based on the salary structure and sim engine as of September 2014, for a balanced offense.

Spend <=$25M on a defense.
Spend >=$5M on the offensive line.
Spend <=$2M on special teams.
The starting QB should be >=90 durability, >=70 pass accuracy, >=70 pass stamina, >=50 int.
The RBs should total >=100 run stamina and the top 2 RB should have >=90 durability and >=50 run.
The top 2 WR (or top WR and top TE) should be >=90 durability, >=60 rec stamina, >=60 rec.
Spend $325K each on K and P.
9/1/2014 1:50 PM (edited)
Thanks I was looking for something like this.  Does it matter if you pick an old qb that only played 14 games and 100 for durability?
10/28/2013 8:10 PM
Posted by nikospade on 10/28/2013 8:10:00 PM (view original):
Thanks I was looking for something like this.  Does it matter if you pick an old qb that only played 14 games and 100 for durability?
100 durability is all that matters (number of games in that particular season is irrelevant)
10/28/2013 8:39 PM
I'm about to jump back into the football SIM.  It's been years.

In the baseball SIM, they have the player databases available as a spreadsheet that you can download, but that does not appear to be the case with for football.  Has anyone put together a spreadsheet like that for football privately?

11/20/2013 9:30 PM
Not that I'm aware of, but the biggest  mistake I see people make is to not draft enough stamina. Ex. Starting QB with only 20 stamina.

No matter how good the players are, after they hit their max, they become garbage.

So, pass stamina for your QB added to your 2 RBs stamina (or 1 or however many RBs you want to have) should total over 170 or so. 

Depending on whether you want a running team or a passing team, you can switch it up, but as long as you have enough stamina to play out a whole game.

Also, remember that if you have enough injuries, you may forfeit a game. I've lost a game where I was dominating with a few minutes left and got an injury and lost the game because I couldn't field 11 players. A good way to avoid this is to draft at least 1 QB and 5 position players with 100 durability and keep them on the active roster. They can be at the bottom of the depth chart but as long as they are there you will never forfeit.

I'm surprised that, after all these years, WIS hasn't fixed that. You shouldn't be able to draft a team that has the potential to forfeit.

It shows the lack of commitment to the football sim. In baseball you have minimums (AB's and IPs) but in football there are no minimums for stamina or durability, so new people draft horrible teams because they're not aware of how it works and then they don't come back for another try.

11/24/2013 8:46 PM
"So, pass stamina for your QB added to your 2 RBs stamina (or 1 or however many RBs you want to have) should total over 170 or so."

1.   I like this rule of thumb, but here is a Q:  are the QB and RB stamina equal in this way? My gut feel is that 90 QB stam and 80 RB stam gives you more plays than 50 QB and 120 RB stam.

Of course, with a QB that completes a ton of passes, you'll need >300 WR/RB total receiver stam or you won't be able to take advantage of it, right?

2.  ncmus's tips are followed bymost succesful owners. But re: spending on defense, I would not spend too little. A Def with poor run+pass ratings will be torn up by the strong offense most owners put on the field. I would say when picking a defense,
   a) red zone rsating is expensive and not worth it 
 either  b)   pick a middling run+pass D and go big on INT and possibly sacks; you're admitting you may give up yards but at least you'll occasionally get a turnover or cause a 3rd-&-long and then punt,or
             c)    find the highest pass+run (and maybe drive) rating you can afford. I've had success spending 27 to 31 mil and holding people to <17 pts per game. Any leftover $ goes to a non-crappy punter, or punt return special teams.
11/26/2013 2:45 PM
(1) 100 stamina pass for QB is about 40 passes/game, 100 stamina run for RB is about 25 rushes/game (2) sack rating for defense usually correlates well to the amount of sacks but the QB has more influence on interceptions than a defense's INT rating
11/26/2013 4:06 PM
True about the pass stamina giving you more plays, not sure the exact ratio but remember, runs will eat more clock so you don't NEED as many plays as you do if you play a pass heavy offense, so that brings the stamina back into balance.

So, 90 pass stamina and 80 run stamina will give you more plays than 50 pass stamina and 120 run stamina, but with the latter you won't need to run as many plays because you are eating the clock more and will run less plays for the game.

Either way you 170 should be good to last a full game
12/28/2013 2:09 PM (edited)
good answers both; thanks!
12/31/2013 2:17 PM
When are the 2013 rosters going to be set?
1/5/2014 8:35 PM
been several years since I did the football sim.  Wanna try Peyton's new season soon as it's released...

few questions.

1)  several years ago, the commonly accepted idea was that you needed about one rec. stamina for every catch.  That seemed wrong & wasteful at the time... I saw successful squads running less (often much less) but never tested it myself.  What is the theory now?

2)  regarding playbook & passing... I seem to remember the longer routes (normal & above) ending up in lackluster completion percentages.  Does higher QB acc & receiver rating (not stamina, the rating) mean deeper routes will connect more often?

3)  Why 170 combined qb sta & rb sta?  That number is right at what I used to do ('04 manning has like 72 stamina & I usually had 95-110 run stamina), but again... why is that the rule of thumb now?

Thanks & gl & shiz~
1/27/2014 10:57 PM
1-u could draft a little less than that, but if u draft a lot less ur qb will probably complete a lower % of passes
2-receiver rating usually correlates well with ypc, doesn't really correlate with completion %
3-not having enough qb and rb stamina is like not having enough usage n the nba sim
1/29/2014 1:14 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 1/29/2014 1:14:00 PM (view original):
1-u could draft a little less than that, but if u draft a lot less ur qb will probably complete a lower % of passes
2-receiver rating usually correlates well with ypc, doesn't really correlate with completion %
3-not having enough qb and rb stamina is like not having enough usage n the nba sim
Thank you for responding.

2 - but the.... can't remember exact term, but you've got five options that correlate with the passing game in each formation in your playbook that has an effect on both ypc & completion %.  Does receiver rating trump short patterns?  Does high receiver rating mean deep(er) passes are more likely to be completed?  Do you understand what I'm asking?

3 - Yeah, I understand that.  My question was:  Why 170?  (Pass Stamina x 7)/16 = approximate pass attempts per game & (Run Stamina/4) = approximate rushes per game IIRC.  I guess that lines up to a little over 60 snaps.

1/29/2014 4:23 PM
2-the terms r very conservative, conservative, normal, aggressive, very aggressive
3-having enough stamina for about 65 snaps is what u want, imo
1/29/2014 4:54 PM
" My question was:  Why 170?  (Pass Stamina x 7)/16 = approximate pass attempts per game & (Run Stamina/4) = approximate rushes per game IIRC.  I guess that lines up to a little over 60 snaps."

I would use Pass Stamina*.4 and Run Stamina*.3 to aproximate attemtps per game.
Pass Stamina of 50 and Run Stamina of 140 then equals 20 passes and 42 run attempts (run-heavy offense with just enough to get you thru a game) 
Pass Stamina of 100 and Run Satmaina of 73 then equals 40 passes and 22 run attempts (heavy pass emphasis, ditto just enough)

I used a 65 pass / 100 run stam team recently with good success; partly because it seems to me (& others) that hte SIM gives a guy with only 10 rush stamina a little more "grace" in extending his attempts, proportoinately, than a guy with 50 - said another way, three "10s" appear ot get more carries than one "30" without signifcantly affecting their performance.
4/1/2014 9:54 AM
123 Next ▸
Help for beginners 2014 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.