Scholarship messages Topic

Posted by oldave on 2/13/2014 4:15:00 AM (view original):
Beep.beep.beep.

back it up....

Are you talking about the list of teams considered on the left side of a recruits player page? Surely not. If so that would be eenormously huge and also the opposite of the way it used to be.

If you are talking about the wots message at the bottom of the players scouted info tab...
.... OK yeah. I guess I knew that but may not have realized the order listed was so instructive

But sometimes you don't have that info, especially transfers . And since it only changes twice a day I often find I'm in the dark at key moments.
sorry, i should have been clearer - the list on the left is totally useless. the WOTS messages are, however, 100% reliable in saying who is in 1st. yeah its true, they aren't always available - but they make it pretty easy for someone to map the scholarship messages. i suspect a bunch of coaches have done this already, someone should really do it and publish here. i had about 75% mapped like 4 years ago, but have no idea where that is. and it was a pain. today these could be mapped in a couple months by someone with multiple teams, or by a collaboration. you'd want to make sure you had people who are never using *anything* as basis for the conclusion except WOTS messages, though.
2/13/2014 1:13 PM
The team listed first in WOTS is actually ahead? What is this sorcery? 

I had no idea. Will make use of that in my own life. 
2/14/2014 10:40 AM
Posted by tarvolon on 2/14/2014 10:40:00 AM (view original):
The team listed first in WOTS is actually ahead? What is this sorcery? 

I had no idea. Will make use of that in my own life. 
yeah, i learned this on the forums myself. extremely good to know :)
2/14/2014 10:53 AM
Received some interesting feedback on scholarship messages in my recent conversation with CS.  Like bow2dacowz mentioned earlier, I was told that just because you get an extremely positive sounding scholarship message, this does not mean you are definitely in the lead.  Apparently, the messages represent "recruit interest" not who's leading, and in certain circumstances, a recruit may be "very interested" in multiple schools.  In those cases, multiple schools may get the positive messages.

Also, they made it extremely clear that messages are generated on lead changes only.  Messages are not generated when another team joins or leaves the Consideration List or based on an increased gradation of a lead.  Unless there is a new leader, no scholarship message is generated, end of story.

I honestly don't agree with this information, as years of experience tell me it's not correct.  However, I am throwing it out here, because CS could not have been more clear or direct in making these points.  I sent them a current example where I received a "You're my top choice", followed by my next 2 being behind (the 2nd solidly behind IMO).  Waiting on a response, will post the info here if it's useful.
2/15/2014 10:46 PM
After sending the above example to CS, they acknowledged that they misspoke in saying that lead changes are the only reason for scholarship messages.  Took a little back and forth, but figured I'd let people know that they redacted that part eventually.
2/17/2014 7:15 PM
Posted by mjp8 on 8/12/2012 8:45:00 PM (view original):
Is there a list of all the scholarship messages somewhere and a ranking of where they are in terms of winning to losing a battle?

Seems like something someone would have filed somewhere.
This one, with a subject line titled, "Scholarship":

"Hey Coach, I really love your program, but I feel like I need to give each program my full attention before I make my decision. I can't say yes right now. Sorry."

Additional context: recruit declined guaranteed start/minutes in last cycle; however, we have been progressing from not being considered, to being considered & agreeably received as a house guest, repeatedly.

The timing of this message, after the recruit accepted a boatload of recruiting effort, makes me want to believe it indicates a lead change. Someone please validate my hope.

Regards,

3/3/2014 8:32 PM (edited)
"Coach, I just can't say yes right now...I'm still supposed to take a campus visit of another school. Unless they show me something, I want to play for you next season."

Is that slightly ahead?
11/11/2014 8:11 PM
I say yes......
11/12/2014 12:49 PM
yup
11/12/2014 1:51 PM
Just to confirm, this: "Hey Coach, I really love your program, but I feel like I need to give each program my full attention before I make my decision. I can't say yes right now. Sorry." is without a doubt wholly behind.  I got this message after the 2am cycle, around the same time the first WOTS was generated which said that the recuit "was definitely leaning toward playing for [the guy I am battling]".  This was after getting leading message in the 8:00pm cycle and no change after the 11....with a crap ton more money thrown in at 8 and 11.....outspent and outrecruited.

1/13/2015 2:18 PM
So when you get a scholarship message, the lead has been changed?
4/7/2015 3:32 PM
I believe it's when their is a change in the recruiting status but not necessarily on lead changes. If you go from way behind to slightly behind you get a scholarship message
4/7/2015 8:11 PM
Posted by milwood on 4/7/2015 8:11:00 PM (view original):
I believe it's when their is a change in the recruiting status but not necessarily on lead changes. If you go from way behind to slightly behind you get a scholarship message
Ok that makes sense.  Thanks buddy.
4/7/2015 8:23 PM
I don't know if this will add to the discussion, but I decided to make a spreadsheet of the messages.  It's probably not complete, but I came up with 18 so far.

I have another round of recruiting coming up and will try to update it.  I tried to keep it consistent with what everyone else has said on this thread.  It seems clear to me that the WIS engine combines different sentences from a list and arrives are many variations as a result.   Most of the messages I saw were at least 2 sentences making it hard to compare to some of what tarvolon and others have posted (often posting 1 sentence scholarship messages, which probably happen, but I didn't notice it in my recent checking)..

Here's the breakdown of sentences:
1 sentence scholarship messages:  4
2 sentence:  9
3 sentence:  3
4 sentence:  0
5 sentence:  2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6nkhTXOzxNFaTVSeGxQZ3RCazhjYlRrZFRpTzNFMkVrYnlj/view?usp=sharing
8/11/2015 5:15 PM
Posted by brianxavier on 8/11/2015 5:15:00 PM (view original):
I don't know if this will add to the discussion, but I decided to make a spreadsheet of the messages.  It's probably not complete, but I came up with 18 so far.

I have another round of recruiting coming up and will try to update it.  I tried to keep it consistent with what everyone else has said on this thread.  It seems clear to me that the WIS engine combines different sentences from a list and arrives are many variations as a result.   Most of the messages I saw were at least 2 sentences making it hard to compare to some of what tarvolon and others have posted (often posting 1 sentence scholarship messages, which probably happen, but I didn't notice it in my recent checking)..

Here's the breakdown of sentences:
1 sentence scholarship messages:  4
2 sentence:  9
3 sentence:  3
4 sentence:  0
5 sentence:  2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6nkhTXOzxNFaTVSeGxQZ3RCazhjYlRrZFRpTzNFMkVrYnlj/view?usp=sharing
Nice job!
8/11/2015 8:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7 Next ▸
Scholarship messages Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.