Seahawks! SUPER BOWL Champs! Topic

Imagine if Wilson was an elite player...
12/21/2014 11:40 PM
serious question....what do you do with Marshawn?
12/21/2014 11:41 PM
Russell Wilson already 5th on the all-time rushing list for QB's!
12/22/2014 1:36 AM
You worded or misheard that wrong. So far this season's efforts make him 5th all-time in single-season rushing yards.

For All-Time career rushing yards, he's in the 20s.
12/22/2014 2:14 AM
SEATTLE JUST DESTROYED CARDS(7-0 AT HOME)

SOME OF YE IDIOTS JUST DONT GET IT
12/22/2014 4:36 AM
Heh.  And now Flacco and Wilson are 10 and 11 in the league in moranis's beloved QBR.  Wilson is also ahead (really basically even with) Andrew Luck.

Tell us again how Flacco is totally worth his contract and signing Wilson to a big deal would be a terrible idea.

12/22/2014 7:11 AM
Posted by seamar_116 on 12/21/2014 11:41:00 PM (view original):
serious question....what do you do with Marshawn?
Find a way to fit his 2015 contract in... that may be just leaving it how it is, with how much the salary cap is going to go up.  They will negotiate Wilson's extension this offseason because its the first time they can, but his cap hit won't be big next year.
12/22/2014 8:00 AM
This is a silly debate.  No one really knows how good of a passer Wilson is (except perhaps their own talent guys) because the Seahawks do not give a rip about the QB stat-o-the-day.

As long as the current regime is in place, the 'protect the ball at all costs' mantra will rule the day.  That means not making the mistake, but it also means not necessarily going for the spectacular throw either.  There is only one other team that plays this way and that's the 49ers.  Kap's inability to adjust, make reads, and keep from throwing the ball away instead of taking a chance puts him well behind Wilson.

A huge part of Wilson's value, that IMO goes unnoticed, is the intelligence of when to throw the ball away (and hence reduce his own stats while doing it).

There's not a chance in hell I'd take anybody, other than Big 4, over Wilson.  I'd be happy with Luck too, but it would be a different dynamic. 

The Seahawks know what they have.  And it's fine with them (and me) if no one else does.
12/22/2014 4:43 PM
Meh.  You have his college career to look at also.    He's basically been the same guy his entire trackable career.    I don't think we're looking at an elite passer.   But he's a pretty damn good football player. 
12/22/2014 4:55 PM

He may be or may never be.  Depends on what ends up being important to him.  Like why does he play?  He constantly references Tony Parker.  When you look at Tony Parker, could he have been a better scorer?  Possibly.  Would he want to be?  And does that help with his overall mission?

Being a great "game manager" is an important attribute in its own right.  And it's not necessarily a fall back from being a great or elite passer.  In the context of the Seahawks, Wilson is perfect.  I'm not sure a guy like Luck would be.  That's not a statement of who's the better QB.  Which attributes are more important to your team?  Carroll's team is built on so many things, but it has to work together. 

I've tried to figure out, within the context of what makes the Seahawks who they are, who I would want at the helm besides Wilson.   It's harder to pin down now that I know what Wilson is, than it used to be.

12/22/2014 5:43 PM
I'm not talking about numbers.   I don't think Wilson draws up the game plan.   I don't think he has the skillset to be a Brady/Manning/Brees.    And, obviously, a QB can be successful without being those guys. 
12/22/2014 6:02 PM
From ESPN.com

3. It's tough for offensive-minded coaches to embrace Russell Wilson's excellence.

Most of the defensive coaches I speak with love what they see from Wilson -- except when they have to face him. Some offensive coaches have a harder time embracing a quarterback whose style goes against what history has told them NFL quarterbacks must do to succeed consistently over time. That was certainly evident Sunday night, when the Arizona Cardinals' radio network asked coach Bruce Arians where Wilson ranks among the league's quarterbacks.

Arians had just watched Wilson pass for 339 yards and rush for 88 yards, but as a coach with very specific preferences at the position, he did not gush. He called Wilson "very different" and said this about him: "He's not going to beat you from the pocket. He is going to beat you all over the field and they have a nice scheme for him."

Arians and many other coaches believe quarterbacks must consistently produce as passers from the pocket to succeed over time. They are right. But for all the damage Wilson did with his feet in this game, he also completed 13 of 20 passes for 189 yards and a touchdown from inside the pocket. He averaged 9.5 yards per attempt on those throws and took no sacks in the pocket.

That doesn't make Wilson a classic pocket passer. His overall numbers from the pocket this season have not been as good as in the past, even though defenses must make concessions in coverage as they strategize to stop Marshawn Lynch and contain Wilson's running. But for a young quarterback operating in an offense lacking in pass protection and without dynamic wide receivers or tight ends, Wilson is not just very different. He is also very good.

Todd Bowles, the Cardinals' defensive coordinator, had it right in his pregame comments: "Many have tried, many have failed [in stopping Wilson]. The guy's got a gift. He's smart, he's heady, he understands their offense and he understands what's happening to him. We've got our work cut out for us."

12/22/2014 6:35 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/22/2014 4:55:00 PM (view original):
Meh.  You have his college career to look at also.    He's basically been the same guy his entire trackable career.    I don't think we're looking at an elite passer.   But he's a pretty damn good football player. 
This is an odd statement... he damn near won the Heisman his Sr. year at Wisconsin:

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
*2008 North Carolina State ACC FR QB 11 150 275 54.5 1955 7.1 8.2 17 1 133.9
2009 North Carolina State ACC SO QB 12 224 378 59.3 3027 8.0 8.3 31 11 147.8
*2010 North Carolina State ACC JR QB 13 308 527 58.4 3563 6.8 6.6 28 14 127.5
*2011 Wisconsin Big Ten SR QB 14 225 309 72.8 3175 10.3 11.8 33 4 191.8
12/22/2014 9:28 PM (edited)
Are you ignoring his other three seasons?
12/22/2014 9:28 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/22/2014 9:28:00 PM (view original):
Are you ignoring his other three seasons?
Did you watch him play?  Those aren't terrible numbers by any stretch of the imagination, and NC State isn't exactly a hotbed of surrounding talent.
12/22/2014 9:29 PM
◂ Prev 1...42|43|44|45|46...51 Next ▸
Seahawks! SUPER BOWL Champs! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.