Colorado St. Rams Topic

Fort Collins, CO -- Just a mere 12 seasons ago, it was Charleston Southern who fell short in the Sweet 16 after an improbable run to get there.  After upsetting #4 Stanford in the 2nd round, Colorado St. brought the Bucs back down to earth and sent them home. 

The head coach of Charleston Southern at the time of that amazing run has found a new home.  In Fort Collins.  With the very same Rams that eliminated him 12 seasons prior.

"That tournament game didn't factor in my decision at all.  Fort Collins is a wonderful place and Colorado St. has a great tradition of success that I hope to continue," WestCoast22 stated in his introdcution press conference today.

WestCoast22 brings an overall record of 244-183, a 109-64 record in Division 1 with a 2-1 National Tournament record.  His last job came at the University of Washington where he lasted only 1 season.

"It was a great program.  I loved Seattle," said WestCoast22.  "The fans were great and the players were hard workers.  It just wasn't a great fit for me."

WestCoast22 takes over a program that once was a perennial power.  The Rams made the Big Dance 11 times out of 13 seasons and even made it to Title Game once.  Since then, the Rams have not made the tournament and have never crossed the 7 win barrier in the previous 3 years.

"We have to rebuild.  We need to reevaluate this program and where we want it to go.  This upcoming recruiting season will be huge for us.  There needs to be a great contingent of youth upcoming and it's up to me and my staff to accomplish that," stated WestCoast22.

All of the fans in Fort Collins and those in which packs the stands at Moby Arena each home game sure hopes the program will turn around.  And quickly.

"It's been a while since we were great.  Hell, it's been a while since we have been good," said one fan on the way out of the press conference.

1/31/2012 6:29 PM
Rams Set To Open Season Tonight; Hosts Cornell

Fort Collins, CO -- After a grueling recruiting season, 8 new players, and exhibition preparation, the Colorado St. Rams are welcoming the Ivy League's Cornell Big Red tonight to open the new season.

This season, the Rams will be led by senior point guard Benjamin Smith and senior center Mark Pridmore.  Both know this is their final year to quiet the doubters and to step up for the 8 new faces in camp.

"It's a big deal for us (Ben and I)," said Pridmore.  "There a lot of new faces on board this year and we have to show them how to play Ram basketball."

Smith was caught on his way back to the locker room following practice and merely said, "It's on me."

Colorado St.'s youth and inexperienced showed in their 2 warm up games losing by double digits in both.

"They played hard.  They are still getting a feel for each other and learning how to meld as one.  It's a process and will take the entire season but I am excited to see how successful these young men can be," said WestCoast22 in a pre-game press conference.

The Rams opened up Moby Arena on Tuesday Night and were defeated by Vanderbilt 72-62.  Mark Pridmore posted a double double and Benjamin Smith scored a team high 17 points.  Vanderbilt's Marty Duren grabbed a double double of his own and was accompanied by Dennis Fritts who had a game high 21 points.  The difference of the game came down low where CSU's front court was dominated all game.  The free throw discrepency was also an issue as Vandy went to the line for 31 attempts compared to the Rams' 15.

Wednesday night brought in the Pitt Panthers out of the rough Big East.  Pittsburgh used their speedy backcourt to give Colorado St. fits all night as they eased to a 65-52 victory.  Mark Pridmore again led the Rams with 15 points with 8 boards while Michael Hamler led Pittsburgh with 20 points and 8 boards.

"We are not getting blown out.  These men are hanging tough," said WestCoast22.  "We just need to find a way to push through that wall and put some pressure on late in ball games."

Coming into Fort Collins tonight is Cornell.  They boasts one of the best front courts in the Ivy League with Jeffrey Jones and Bill Southerland.  Pridmore and freshmen big man John Kuehl will need to find a way to slow them down if the Rams have a chance to open up the season with a win.

"They are ready.  We're ready," said WestCoast22.
2/9/2012 8:10 PM (edited)
Nice work~ I forgot to keep updating mine in Rupp. Keep yours alive!
2/9/2012 6:52 PM
Thanks Caesari!!  I had one about 10 seasons ago for Charleston Southern and enjoyed it.  Figured I would re start one with my new team.
2/9/2012 8:16 PM
Rams Coast Past Dartmouth

Fort Collins, CO -- Mark Pridmore wasn't happy with the performance the Rams (1-1) gave their home crowd on opening night.  He took it upon himself to make sure the fans went home happy the second time around.

Pridmore had a career high 28 points and 8 rebounds to help Colorado St. beat Dartmouth 84-72.

"That's more like it," said Pridmore after the game.  "We played hard in the first half and we came out and finished the game.  Complete basketball games are the onlyway to win in Division I.

The other senior leader on the team followed suit as Benjamin Smith dropped in 23 points, hitting 7 three pointers, and dishing out 8 assists.

Dartmouth (0-2) was led by David Underwood who had a team high 14 points and 10 rebounds.  Each Big Green starter scored in double digits except for true freshman Corey Schwald who only notched 20 minutes.

The Rams had 2 great all around games.  The first from true freshman Rafael Dyer with 4 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists.  The second coming from senior Robert Sparato who tallied 11 points, 7 rebounds, and added 5 assists.

"It was a great team effort," said coach WestCoast22 after the game.  "Anytime you can have 26 assists and 7 turnovers in a game, you're doing something right."

Colorado St. will attempt to continue it's winning ways as they travel to DePaul (1-1) tonight.  Tip off is scheduled for 9:55 PM EST.  You can catch the game on CSU Channel 14 or ESPN5.

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=7892757

2/11/2012 1:13 PM
Colorado St. Rams Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.