I'm no teacher, no kind of italyprof or anything, but enlighten me. What exactly is your point? Or are you just writing the Sportsy Complaineypants version of "We Didn't Start the Fire?"
4/24/2015 11:16 PM
Been done already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWKA9Zi5-_Y

C'mon guys, let's keep it friendly please.
4/25/2015 5:34 AM
While we are at baseball songs - never heard this one before and it is wonderful, almost autobiographical for me !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlI0WW1sV4Y

4/25/2015 5:41 AM
Posted by italyprof on 4/25/2015 5:34:00 AM (view original):
Been done already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWKA9Zi5-_Y

C'mon guys, let's keep it friendly please.
Friendly?  I came back here for a victory lap!  
4/25/2015 11:31 AM
I have to say llamanuts I don't understand your anger... or where you are coming from but im going to say it...you are a weirdo....victory ? where is the fight?...crawl back under your rock.
4/25/2015 12:19 PM
1. Well, dio27, I'm not angry.  It's annoyance at your incoherent style of "argument".  It's a pet peeve.

2. You want to know where I'm coming from?  I have an idea.  Read the thread in which you are posting.

3. I don't dispute that I'm a weirdo.  I don't think anyone who knows or remembers me would dispute that.

4. It's really, really easy to figure out what the "fight" was.  I mean, this thread, in which you are posting, exists documenting... itself?

5. I have never in my life left my bunker, the entrance to which is indeed hidden underneath a rock.
4/25/2015 1:25 PM
Posted by dino27 on 4/24/2015 5:47:00 PM (view original):
no more shared subway rides...24/7 talk radio criticism stangles glorification..no more heroes...ticket prices.cause back to athens...cheaters galore...divas......prima donnas...knuckelheads...salary caps....commisioner coward...rapists..druggies...abusers...sports agents...defense attorney unions....them vs us....whats not to like...

I was watching the Angels-Rangers game last night, Mike Trout at bat.  Early in the game, nobody on, two outs, 0-2 count.  For good pitchers, the next pitch when the count is 0-2 is not a wasted pitch; you punch the batter out or at least set him up to be taken out on the next pitch.  Wandy Rodriguez – no slouch – throws a beautiful slider, starting off the plate and just cutting in at the last second.  Called strike three for most batters, foul ball or weak grounder for almost all the rest.  Trout shortens his swing and drives it into the outfield for a single.  Pujols proceeds to make the third out of the inning in the next at bat.

What’s the point?  Beauty.  Rodriguez pitched brilliantly, setting up arguably the best hitter in baseball flawlessly, and executing the put-out pitch to perfection.  Trout did what few could, drilling a near-unhittable, perfectly executed pitch for a single.  It made no difference in the inning or the game, it was simply beautiful baseball.

That’s why I watch.

4/25/2015 2:46 PM
Nicely said. Thank you.
4/25/2015 3:06 PM
Off topic for a sec--7th inning no outs starter has runners on 2nd and 3rd (no errors), manager pulls the starter and orders the incoming relief pitcher to intentionally walk the next batter, the following batter clears the bases with a triple, who is charged with an earned or unearned run for the batter who scored from 1st?
4/25/2015 3:56 PM
Given only the info you supplied, the runners on second and third are charged to the starter, the runner on first to the reliever, all earned.

Edit: I'd give an unofficial error to the manager for having his RP IW the first batter he faced, though.  Takes the RP out of his rhythm.
4/25/2015 4:17 PM (edited)
pinotfan..I don't knock anyone for enjoying the big 4 sports...I was not writing about the sport itself but the problems with professional sports...mike trout is a savior...he represents the purity and integrity of the game...in a lot of people's opinion pujols could have been part of the impurity of the game...I still do not trust the integrity of baseball...I see a growing polarization between fans and the sports...maybe not you but a lot of fans don't take sports quite as seriously anymore.there is a lot less blind loyalty and going to games is more and more like going to a movie...these comments are not considering fans such as yourself but growing segments of the genera sports public.
4/25/2015 5:03 PM
Meh...I could find the exact same paragraph written by someone (fan, writer, etc) in 2005, in 1995, in 1985. People have been writing about the demise of baseball for more than a century, with just one problem.  It has never been true.

The game changes.  Any one person may not like some of the changes at any point in time, and we all tend to (a) look for patterns that support what we personally believe (b) anchor our opinions based on the most recent information we receive.

Personally, I enjoyed baseball during the "steroid years" more than I have at any other time.  Without getting into the ethics of PED use, I will say that I found the game during that time to be the best it has ever been.  The years roughly 1994-2007 were incredibly exciting, and frankly I wish scoring and levels of offense would get back to that level.  But that's just a personal preference, and it's not at all clear that the majority of the baseball-viewing public agrees with me.

I get to about a half dozen games a year...attendance is usually very good, including (despite what we are led to believe) a ton of young people at every game. 

Check out MLB attendance per game records here:
http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/2/10/5390172/major-league-attendance-trends-1950-2013

Over the long run, it always goes up.  There are short terms blips (such as following a strike), but it always comes back. If there is anything other than anecdotal evidence from a handful of disgruntled fans and writers, it sure is not showing up in the data.

4/25/2015 5:33 PM
could'nt agree more dino that is exactly what i understood from your "word salad" post from before.  baseball to me is the only sport with the integrity for the game that was built into it's fiber over the course of its 169 year existance.  There is no victory dance after a 2 yard tackle for loss when your team is down 10 or a chest bump and a phony "i'm bad" glare for making a three when your team is down 13. there just the respect for the competition during the game that the steroids era IMO spit in the face of. For me baseball is the only team sport left that is played for the team and not the player.

4/25/2015 5:37 PM
thanks...I didn't think I was that obscure ..btw...I originally wrote it in paragraph form and accidentally deleted it...thus the subsequent word salad...again I am not ..NOT talking about the demise of the sport of baseball...I just think it has degeaded over time beginning with peds...it took too long to get the union to allow for testing...I go to a few games a year and we leave in the 7th inning and don't care..it is no different then going to a movie or watching wrestling on tv...I have no investment in it..on the Phillies for example they have a great minor leaguer they wont bring up because of future free agency issues....baseball is a game of contracts more and more...players come and go...talk radio is 24/7 criticism..if your team isn't on top there is no fan support.....basketball is down to scientific losing...now 7-8 teams are involved in tankalooza each season...tanking is now spreading to baseball........im saying sports could be better.
4/25/2015 6:16 PM
hey now don't be bad mouthing rasslin or me and you are gonna have a problem :)
4/25/2015 6:30 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12|13 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.