Ok I know this isnt for everyone, so if you dont like the deep history of the game maybe skip this topic.
Call me crazy
but im going to try and do something I started a while back on these boards but was never able to complete. It may take a world of time but being the avid baseball historian that I am I am going to try and get it done. My task is to do a very detailed job in setting a competition to see what baseball team is the best team of alltime in the Word Series era as determined by Whatifsports. Becuase of personal reasons I have much extra time to devote to this issue and also am curious to see the results.
I will include 432 teams. The teams will be determined in a simple way, I will choose the best four teams from every season starting in 1903 and going all the way to 2010. All world series champions and pennant winners will be automatically included and will recieve automatic byes. The matchups will be best of seven serues with the winner moving on and the loser eliminated. The format will be as follows:
- 216 top rated world series winners and pennant winners will recieve automatic byes.
- Next tier of 216 teams will play against eachother and 108 teams will remain making the overall total 324.
- All World Series wiinners and top 80 will recieve a second bye.
- 108 winners of round one will play eachother along with 28 pennante winners.
- With 256 teams left all teams will play down to a single champion.
It may seem complicated but Im going to give this a try and as things play out it will make more sense as we get to the final 256 and then it will be a straight elimination. I am making it this deep of a tournament as to include some of the lesser remembered teams and also create a situation for legitimate upsets and fun.
Hope you will follow. There will be nothing too elaborate, just results posted and quick stats. This will take a while obviously so hopefully you will be patient with me. Any feedback is as always appreciated.
I will post the teams shortly.