All Forums > SimLeague Baseball > Progressive Theme League Classifieds > Progressive Leagues Wall of Shame
2/8/2013 3:28 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/7/2013 7:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mikemundt on 2/6/2013 3:41:00 PM (view original):
Some commissioners sitemail the league number while others just place it within the dratt thread.   I've been the last one in once and it was becasue I only had one pick and was waiting for an email to state that league had been set up, number, etc.    So I agree that sometimes the commissioner creates the problem.  I also have a beef and will start leaving leagues where there is an inordinate amount of time between the end of the World Series and the draft---I'm not talking about finding replacement managers, I'm talking about leagues where there is no communication for a couple of weeks or so. 
I am one of those unorganized commissioners.

My leagues go slow.  

I am sure I have had guys quit because I go to slow.

Put me on the wall.
There are plenty of owners out there that prefer the laid back and slow approach, TJ.  I really feel leagues like that serve a great need as there are many owners that need/want the extra time.  Something to consider for all commissioners...when posting open spots for each progressive prior to each season include the general pace for between season requirements.  I will practice this from now on.

I joined a few leagues (not new) in the last several months and there was no mention of them being slow between seasons.  If there had been, I would not have joined...saving me (and I'm sure many others) the frustration of having a team sit waiting for other owners to finally enter their teams.  

Also, several commissioners simply have too many "irons in the fire" and run into trouble when leagues they are in/run overlap.

Waiting 2-3 days after the draft for everyone to enter their teams isn't a problem for most owners I would guess, but when it drags on and on (sometimes well over a week) many owners get frustrated.

2/8/2013 4:50 AM
Thanks mient, this is the first logical explanation I have heard after more than a year of asking on these forums.

That makes some sense; if only some owners would drop in on the forum, apologize for causing delays and explain that either money issues (which are entirely legit) or experimenting with a Spring Training team is holding things up - at least we would know why. Although, while the former reasons (waiting for a free team, or to buy a six-pack etc.) are good reasons, making everyone else wait while you see how, after the draft, you can gain competitive advantage over the rest of us by also having the team play an ST season only compounds the sin in my view. 

And TJ, I agree with mensu1954, there have been times when I was very grateful for a laid-back style in a commish - I honestly don't know why everyone wants to start the draft immediately after - or even more weirdly, during the playoffs. First, if you are in the playoffs, you are concentrating on those and not the draft. Second, even if  your team did not make the playoffs, having a moment to look the team over, reflect on it and on what it needs, where you want to go with it, before starting the draft, would be good.

One reason I don't keep pages or seasonal stats for my teams is that the time I would do that would be immediately post-season, and usually we are thrown right into the draft at that point. So Slow Food as they say in Italy, can be better quality. Just not after the draft !

So TJ you do not belong on the Wall. Not sure anyone does except if they leave a league with a broken team after having had success and then letting it run down, and have done so habitually. 
2/8/2013 8:16 PM
Actually some leagues base their draft order by the standings at game 120, and start the draft while the previous season is still going.
4/17/2013 12:27 PM
Adding a new Wall of shame candidate to the mend: auxesis from the WIBL league for no other reason then he traded away his draft picks and then bowed out of the league. His reason: He wanted to drop one of his teams and decided on the one which he had run into the ground after making many questionable trades as the owner for 3 seasons.  

Automatic nominations should be handed out to anyone who trades their teams' picks away and then drops the team. 
4/17/2013 6:37 PM
Yup, that's a no-brainer.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
4/19/2013 4:24 AM

Jeff is in one of the progressives I commish and he is a solid owner.  I also play in several other progs in which he is an owner.  No problems with him in any of them and would accept him in any progressive I ever decide to start. 

4/19/2013 7:22 AM (edited)
Maybe he's changed his ways, then. To be clear, this isn't a personal vendetta -- everyone I know from my progressive leagues has had a terrible experience with him. But yeah, who knows, he could have changed.
4/19/2013 8:56 PM
I love having jeff4noles in the leagues I'm in because he stirs the pot/keeps things fresh

"catfishes"
4/28/2013 5:15 PM
Posted by mensu1954 on 4/19/2013 4:24:00 AM (view original):

Jeff is in one of the progressives I commish and he is a solid owner.  I also play in several other progs in which he is an owner.  No problems with him in any of them and would accept him in any progressive I ever decide to start. 

I agree 100% with Scott, Jeff is one owner who does not belong here. He has been in both progs I run and he is still in one. He does treat others as he is treated so if you treat him with respect he will do the same in kind so if you get the cold shoulder look at how you have treated him.

He left one league I recruited him for as it was a 4 season progressive and two of the seasons were heading into deadball and modern times. He could deal with one but not with both and gave me fair notice and I replaced him before the season was over. I have recruited him for progressives I am in and the commissioners have been thrilled.

If I had 23 jeff4noles in my league I would be content as he enters promptly with never a reminder, enter leagues immediately after the league number is sent out and makes his picks on time and keeps his team fully stocked with talent so if, god forbid, life threw him a curve and gave him a reason to not make it back the commissioner would never have a problem replacing him.

Anyone who thinks Jeff needs to be mentioned here is way off base!

4/28/2013 7:28 PM
Well, I don't intend to make a federal case about it -- with everyone I've talked to before, my take on jeff has been universal. But if others have had different experiences, maybe he's not always so bad. 
5/3/2013 4:28 PM
Characters always spice things up!  
of 17
All Forums > SimLeague Baseball > Progressive Theme League Classifieds > Progressive Leagues Wall of Shame

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.