What are you reading? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
The Dog by Joseph O'Neill.  

A brilliant comic novel set in Dubai before and after the most recent financial crash.  If you like early (funny) Phillip Roth, you'd probably enjoy this, too.
4/7/2015 2:43 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 3/27/2015 2:01:00 PM (view original):
Sandel's an interesting writer.  One of his sentences that stuck with me was (paraphrasing): "We went from having a market economy to being a market society."

I just finished reading Elizabeth Kolbert's The Sixth Extinction.  A pretty good book with a unique approach to analyzing the mass extinctions currently underway.  Bonus baseball-related points for the line describing Neanderthal man as "looking like Yogi Berra."

Just got The Sixth Extinction on your rec. I read her earlier, Field Notes from a Catastrophe, which was pretty good too. As I teach Big History, TSE seems like a good fit. Thanks.
4/8/2015 2:58 AM
The Mad Sculptor by Harold Schechter

A good non-fiction account of a 1930's murder that was a tabloid sensation at the time. Plenty of colorful characters and interesting period detail.
4/11/2015 1:50 PM
I have been trying to read all ten Martin Beck mysteries, by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo, but I'm taking a break from that to read The Curious Case of Sidd Finch by George Plimpton. I'm reading the novel, not the Sports Illustrated  article.
4/11/2015 8:33 PM
THE VOYAGE OF THE BEAGLE------- CHARLES DARWIN
4/21/2015 5:56 AM
That's the one where he proved that beagles evolved to be cooler than other dogs 

4/21/2015 8:11 AM
More annoying, is more like it ...
4/21/2015 10:52 AM
Posted by crazystengel on 4/11/2015 1:50:00 PM (view original):
The Mad Sculptor by Harold Schechter

A good non-fiction account of a 1930's murder that was a tabloid sensation at the time. Plenty of colorful characters and interesting period detail.
Schechter mentioned a 1967 novel that was based on this case, Killing Time by Thomas Berger.   I've always liked Berger (Little Big Man, Neighbors, Who is Teddy Villanova?, Being Invisible) but had never heard of this one, so I gave it a try.  The writing's excellent, with plenty of humor and interesting characters.  I'd recommend this even more highly than Schechter's book.
4/25/2015 12:25 PM
I'm currently reading 1493 by Charles Mann.

4/25/2015 12:40 PM
LITTLE BIG MAN IS EPIC, A MASTERPIECE, SO I ALWAYS FELT DISAPPOINTED WITH BERGER'S OTHER WORKS. UNFAIR I KNOW.
4/26/2015 5:41 AM
I am reading a classic that I have never read before, Vernon Parrington, Main Currents of American Thought. So far, it is amazing. 
4/26/2015 8:33 AM
Short Game Bible by Dave Pelz. Learning how to control my golf game 100 yards in.
4/26/2015 11:47 AM
Tai-Pan by James Clavell
4/27/2015 10:46 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23|24|25...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.